HybridZ

RB26 versus VQ35 swap ?

turbonat240

I from what Ive learned talking around with several guys, including forged performance about rough power levels for the Vq35de:

Max SAFE power on the stock block,rods, pistons = 380 horsepower at the wheels on a Dyno Dynamics Dynomometer...

Many guys have run over this on the stock internals, I have talked to afew running 450+. The rods can only take this for so long, on a street machine it may be okay for a while since you only see WOT every once in a while for short periods.....but I wouldnt risk a hole in my block. At Zdayz during the forged tech session they showed us rods that had been slowly bent from DD use over 400hp.

Next step is forged rods and pistons this will take you as far as most people will ever want to go as I mentioned before Sharif's car was putting down 800 and something....so we are talking about MASSIVE power for a S30.

For proper tuning anything about stock really also requires a standard supply/return style system to avoid fuel pressure issues.

Anyway hope this helps guys choose between a rb and the vq. In my opinion sourcing parts and the cost of those parts is the worst part about the motor and why I choose the VQ. The vq is newer, usually doesnt require a rebuild and for hte same money youll be rebuilding your stock rb for you can have forged pistons and rods and be putting down some massive numbers. Aftermarket parts for the vq are plentiful and easy to come by second hand as well.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that just popped into my head.....

When swapping into an older car, what does one do concerning placating the immobilizer system?

I'm pretty sure most any VQ equipped car uses this for anti-theft.

Or do most use an aftermarket stand-alone system.

Testing ECUs for standard motor products, I am able to beat most immobilizers but not the newer nissan and toyota setups.....not yet anyway.

One thing that just popped into my head.....

When swapping into an older car, what does one do concerning placating the immobilizer system?

I'm pretty sure most any VQ equipped car uses this for anti-theft.

Or do most use an aftermarket stand-alone system.

Testing ECUs for standard motor products, I am able to beat most immobilizers but not the newer nissan and toyota setups.....not yet anyway.

Sorry, but this sounds like the statement of a car thief :shock: