HybridZ

Blue foam for fiberglass mold ? what is it

I looked on that site but couldn't find it. Do you have a name for the product? I searched google but came up with a tone of different stuff, I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for so that doesn't help either.

I am going to use it to make a speaker box.

Guy

I think its the first product on the site. 2 lb. Polyurethane Mix and Pour Foam. It isn't cheap at $119.95

http://www.fibreglast.com/showproducts-category-Fabric%20RacksFoam-156.html

About that insulation spray foam...

Don't get it on anything! including skin!!!

It is almost impossible to get off.

I used two cans of it to ship a crankshaft to a member here and I got it all over me and my garage floor. Probably the stickiest stuff ever invented!

It's expensive too at $5 a can for what you get out of it.

The best (not the cheapest) way is to use sprayed polyurethane foam (spf) on the car and then carve/grind to shape. Then pull molds off as per descriptions above. Spf does not cut with a hot wire like Expanded Polystyrene (white bead board - coffee cup) or Extruded Polystyrene (the pink or blue construction board at Home Depot). It is not affected by solvents or gas and will require grinding to remove from car so mask remainder of car well.

Now for sources.

Look under Industrial Insulation Contractors in the phone book for someone to do the spraying with the proper equipment if price is not an option. Otherwise there are "froth packs" which are small kits complete with A & B tanks and a one time use poor quality application gun - available from Steels Industrial Products. The pour kits mentioned above that come from marine or plastics stores are usually good quality foam but are meant for hand mixing and "pouring" in place - good for speaker enclosures and under floor applications in boats etc.

Now if anyone in the Southern BC area wants to do this I own a SPF company with several mobile rigs and have done this kind of work before. We only do the foaming. We do not do any of the sanding or glass work.

We have done several show cars before but normally do only industrial work,