HybridZ

Wiring Stock Dizzy & Coil => 260z to 280z wiring

Well as much as I hate to do this, my head is in a spin trying to figure out all this wiring. I'm new to this kind of thing. My 260z came with no motor or tranny, and my L28 didn't come with much, so I'm having to pull everything together from various sources.

So far I've figured out that I'm missing the resistor (which a member is sending me), and now I'm thinking I'm also missing the transistor ignition unit. I've done plenty of searching here (about half of today), and couldn't find any pics to confirm, or much discussion for that matter. Also, autozone's website didn't list that they stocked one, so that could be a problem for me.

My dizzy is the two wire type, red and green, by the way. I've included pics of the dizzy and nearby wiring, and the coil, and nearby wiring. The wiring diagrams have helped (included), but not completed the picture for me.

I need to get everything I need rounded up and ready by this weekend, as I'll be receding to the shop in Oklahoma again, and at that point parts runs will be difficult. Any direction is helpful, links included.

EDIT: Oh yeah forgot to mention, I borrowed the first diagram from a pic someone posted on one of the threads I found while searching. Hope that's OK with whoever's it was.

5842_thumb.attach

5843_thumb.attach

ZXDiz_thumb.jpg

260z Wiring Schematic_thumb.jpg

280z Wiring Schematic_thumb.jpg

trumpetrhapsody- I have a 74 260z with a l28 280z motor and will be able to send some pics of the coil and dizzy wireing to you tommorow. Im not sure what time it is over their but it is 8:11pm here. I can send them to you at around 8:00am my time.

Perfect, PERFECT! I now know exactly what I don't have. Now I just need to find out how to get it... THANKS A TON!

So i'm definately missing that thing below the coil, presumably the ignition transistor unit, and the little thing above it, presumably the resistor, a member is sending to me this week.

There are two plug connections like in picture #5 one is for the dizzy and the other on mine has two green colored wires going to the water temp sensor showed in pic. I have taped mine up because they detached from my water temp sensor.

Datsun_Z 019_thumb.jpg

So i'm definately missing that thing below the coil, presumably the ignition transistor unit, and the little thing above it, presumably the resistor, a member is sending to me this week.

If I do recall correctly, the thing below the coil is the resistor and the thing about the coil is a condencer.

You didn't mention the transistor unit before. I have one of those....PM me.

It should be mounted on the passenger side kick panel just above and to the left of the fuse box. It's been about 8 years since it was in the car so.....

PM Sent. I guess by that description I need the resistor and condenser. I'm getting all these terms mixed up.

According to the pics, I have what appears to be a condenser mounted to the right of the fusible links on my car. I wonder what it goes to...

Ok so i read a chapter or two of a electronics book and whola!Answers!

Ok the block thing under the coil is ceramic and it's a "insulator" it has three wires going to it. The word "condencer" is occasionally used to mean capacitor and a resistor is the opposition to current flow in electrical circuits. Basicly anything slowing down the current through the wire is a resistant, decreased current results from more resistance.

Trumpetrhapsody i would use some thicker gauge wire on the fusible links, theirs alot of current runing through them, i think of wires like water pipes as far as current,volts,ampere ext. Small water pipes can only take so much water runing through them, small wire can only take so much current running through them and then they burn!