HybridZ

Float levels off, too low

stiness101

Hey guys,

So I've been adjusting the float levels on my 4screw SU's trying to get them to be where there supposed to be. I just rebuilt the carbs with ztherapy's kit and cleaned everything but the float levels are way to low. I was using a measurement tool of 9/16's to check when the valves were closing off. The floats do still float in the fuel and the car runs only when the choke is fully on cause thats the only time it can suck up the fuel. Any other ideas of what would need to be adjusted? There is one spacer/gasket where the valve screws into the top of the float bowl, would taking that out make a difference at all? Any help would be great as I'm kinda stumped.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

So I've been adjusting the float levels on my 4screw SU's trying to get them to be where there supposed to be. I just rebuilt the carbs with ztherapy's kit and cleaned everything but the float levels are way to low. I was using a measurement tool of 9/16's to check when the valves were closing off. The floats do still float in the fuel and the car runs only when the choke is fully on cause thats the only time it can suck up the fuel. Any other ideas of what would need to be adjusted? There is one spacer/gasket where the valve screws into the top of the float bowl, would taking that out make a difference at all? Any help would be great as I'm kinda stumped.

I think im having the same problem. Sometimes it idles great, sometimes like poop. Have you figured out the problem yet?

Hey guys,

How do you know the float level is too low? It sounds like you set it correctly.

The gasket in necessary to prevent an internal fuel leak that would cause high fuel level and flooding.

To diagnose the problem further, try meauring the fuel level in the float bowl while the engine is actually running. You will need an assistant to this easily and safely. Here is the procedure:

1) Insert a "T" fitting in the fuel line between the float bowl and the carb.

2) Use a clear hose on the T-leg and raise it above the carb so the fuel does not run out.

3) Start the engine.

4) Keep the vertical section as srtaight and vertical as you can and near the float bowl.

5) Measure the distance between the top of the float bowl and the fuel level in the hose.

6) The factory spec for this is 23 mm (0.906") measured from the inside top of the float bowl cover.

Add about 1 mm for the thickness of the cover, making the expected fuel level 24 mm below the top of the

float bowl cover.

8) If the fuel level is close (within 0.5 mm) to this then your problem is elsewhere.

Oftherwise, adjust the float height as necessary to get the fuel level correct.

9) Repeat on the other carb.

If you end up with a very different float height setting than 9/16" to get the correct fuel level you have a problem with the float or float valve.