HybridZ

Hood strut conversion for S30

74Adam

Fe = Shock weight needed (total for both)

Fl= Hood weight (42#)

Dl= Length of the hood

De= Distance from fulcrum (hinge) to point of load

Fe=(42#)(4')(.5')  ....... Roughly

So Fe= 84# ,  making each shock a 40#. I might be way off base, but thats what physics says!

Josey,

I had no idea a kit like this existed.  I made my own that is shockingly similar, simply because I had the shocks left over from my G35.  They are lightweight because I have a fiberglass hood but I could at least give you the compressed and extended lengths and you could experiment with load rating.  To make these I pilfered four connection balls from VWs, cut two flush and welded them to the hinge and made L-brackets for the other two.  I had to play around a lot with mounting location to get the distances correct for full compression and full extension.  Works extrememly well with my hood.

Model I used:  Suspa C16-13313

Extended length:  13"

Compressed length:  9"

Those show 30# /ea ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUSPA-C16-13313-12-30LB-GAS-PROP-STRUT-SHOCK-/230380316352

I hope to play with this some tonight.

Litmans hood looks to be fiberglass in his pictures. Thats probably why 30 pounders worked for him.

You are correct (see my initial post).  They were originally used on my G35C carbon fiber hood.  I got lucky that they worked equally well on the fiberglass Z hood given the difference in mounting geometry.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...