HybridZ

Z31 to s130 conversion

280zxturbo

Please help,I have searched and need detail directions before I dive in.

-Have: 1983zxt and 88 turbo donor car.

-I know the LSD will bolt up.

-What do I need to make the calipers, rotors, springs, 4 lug to 5 lug ;anything else I can use off the 88T donor Z?

-If possible please advise with complete detail directions. Plan to have about 375-425 hp.

Thanks in advance,

Joel from FL

before this gets to the shed thought I'd give you a few links:

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/39435-help-what-brake-options-are-available-for-s30-z-cars/

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?showtopic=86732

Also if you have the ECU, MAF, Dizzy, ALL of the wiring harness, the O2 sensor, you might want to look into swapping that into the 280zxt for more reliability, some insight to it here:

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/26230-z31300zx-ecumaf-to-280zxt-swap-guide/

I'm in the middle of doing a write-up for this swap, however it applies to the 88-89 N/A ECU, MAF, Wiring > L28ET

Edited by Daphur280

Hey, yea, those threads help him hardly at all... you see, I'm not sure if you noticed but S30=/=S130.

One of the guys here (username escapes me right now) has converted his car to Z31 front suspension, and basically all you have to do is extend the 280ZX front control arms about an inch or so to make it so the wheels don't have positive camber.

Someone else has also converted the rear to 5 lug using Z31 stub axles and companion flanges, but doing so requires machine work to be done to the brake caliper mounting ears.

The rear is really easy, unbolt the S130 brakes and stub axles, remove the wheel bearings. Fit the Z31 bearings & spacer, stub axle and brakes, use the Z31 half shafts if you want, they are stronger. I did have to space out the calipers a couple of mm on my setup but I used the earlier non vented Z31 stuff.

My front set up is using Z31 hubs, HR31 Skyline struts (similar to the Z31 struts but they bolt straight up), R32 calipers (same as some Z32) and AU Ford Falcon rotors, these are the parts that were available in NZ when I did the conversion.

Z1.jpg

Z3.jpg

DSC01676.jpg

The rear is really easy, unbolt the S130 brakes and stub axles, remove the wheel bearings. Fit the Z31 bearings & spacer, stub axle and brakes, use the Z31 half shafts if you want, they are stronger. I did have to space out the calipers a couple of mm on my setup but I used the earlier non vented Z31 stuff.

My front set up is using Z31 hubs, HR31 Skyline struts (similar to the Z31 struts but they bolt straight up), R32 calipers (same as some Z32) and AU Ford Falcon rotors, these are the parts that were available in NZ when I did the conversion.

Z1.jpg

Z3.jpg

DSC01676.jpg

Sorry to threadjack but that front dam is awesome. Where can I get me one of those?

• 9 months later...

Can I bring this back up?

djz:

Wanting to know if you just used the 5 lug hubs and pressed them onto the s130 spindles? If you did what parts did you need to make this happen? Also, I am assuming you didn't have to extend your control arms to press in a 5 lug hub assembly onto your pre-existing spindles, correct?

As far as the shocks/struts go in the front you could do like the S30 guys and cut them off and weld on whatever you want to (i.e. s13 coilovers).

Last thing. What about the brakes? Did you have to create a spacer for them or what did you do to adapt them to your application?

Thanks,

Lindsey

Z1.jpg

Z3.jpg

DSC01676.jpg

Can't seem to edit my previous post to fix the links so I'll post them again.

I didn't use S130 struts as I wanted to use calipers with 100mm bolt spacing without adaptors so I used HR31 Skyline struts. There is no pressing involved when changing the front hubs, there is just a nut on the end of the stub that you undo then everything falls off.

From what I can remember the inside diameters of the Z31 bearings are the same as the S130 bearings so the Z31 hubs will go straight onto S130 struts.

The brakes I was using at the time were mixed and matched from what I could get hold of, I'm actually in the process of changing to S13 coilovers, S14 5 stud hubs and R32 GTR brakes.