Jump to content
HybridZ

Jeff H

Members
  • Content Count

    33
  • Donations

    0.00 USD 
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Feedback

    N/A

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About Jeff H

  • Rank
    Moving Up

Profile Information

  • Location
    Bournemouth UK

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Hi Peter, I had an idea of the basics but spending a few days with Lee has certainly helped me a lot.I feel confident enough to be able to take a mould from any car panel now.
  2. I am hoping to get back on it within the next few weeks, the diary is pretty full with customers work at the moment but will update as the build moves forward.
  3. On to the bootlid, I had another mate fold me up a bracket that I could bond and glass in to to the back of it, it is a bit heavier than I would of liked but I don't think it is going to come apart.
  4. This is the bonnet fitted to the car, the inner skin is not the greatest as the buck was pretty crap to be honest so it has a few ripples in it, I am very pleased with the outer bonnet, it fits well to the car and will only need a small amount of prep before painting.
  5. I wasn't there when Lee released the bonnet from the mould, he sent me some pics of how he used some foam in between the two skins to stop it drumming, I also had some new stainless mounts made for the hinges and bonnet catch which Lee bonded in before bonding the two skins together for me.
  6. Same process for the outer skin, wax, gell and matting.
  7. These were de nibbed where necessary and waxed once again before being gelled and layed up, the inner bonnet only had one coat of heavy 600 gram matting, Lee thought this was ok as once bonded to the outer skin formed a nice light but strong finished piece. The outer bonnet and boot was layed up with two coats of the 600 matt. these pics are the inner skin.
  8. So we now have three moulds ready for prepping to produce the new items.
  9. We then cut around the edges to get both parts of the mould apart. we did use tape around the edge to stop a mechanical lock of the two moulds.
  10. We then moved on to the inside of the bonnet, it was of coursed waxed with the release mould wax, then gelled up, a skim coat of matt was applied and once dry a further two coats of heavy matt were applied. I missed the pics of the wax and gel process on these ones.
  11. Then the edges were trimmed back and the boot lid was pulled from the mould, we left the outer skin on the bonnet to keep some strength in it as we had to turn it over to take a mould from the inside of the bonnet.
  12. This was left to dry for a couple of hours and we then put a further two coats of heavy matt on, 600 grams or 2 ounce . this is it once dry.
  13. We taped around the edges of the bonnet to stop the gel from creeping under and creating a mechanical lock, next we put what Lee called a skim coat of matting on, we also went round the edges with some tissue, this kept the edges from lifting.
  14. Then I took the panels over to Lee's place as he has all the products required to do the job, gel coat was the next step, to keep costs low I asked Lee to use a colour that was not popular, he had some Oxford Blue left over from another job that had essentially already been paid for.
  15. The next job was to wax the panels ready for gel coat, the chap recommended a Meguiars release wax.
×
×
  • Create New...