HybridZ

My car's wiring is a mess. Can someone guide me on an aftermarket harness?

My car's wiring is a complete mess and I have the engine pulled so I would like to get the car rewired depending on the cost. I searched and some people have the Painless Wiring Harness. Can someone direct me to the correct harness I should buy?

How much would a shop charge me to take out the old and install the new?

The car ran before I took out the engine and I noticed that a lot of wires were cut and not connected to anything. There also are a lot of wires that are just twisted together barely but not held by any electrical tape.

Experiences? Tips? Recommendations?

• 2 weeks later...

For the rear lights and other components, are you completely taking out the factory wire and installing the new harness wire? Or are you leaving a small strand and connecting the harness wire to the old wire?

For the rear lights and other components, are you completely taking out the factory wire and installing the new harness wire? Or are you leaving a small strand and connecting the harness wire to the old wire?

For the rear lighting, do a really good inspection of the rear wiring to determine its condition. Likely it may be reusable. My intention is to use as much as the original yet strengthening the weak spots. Those are the headlight, turn signal and running light switches. These switches will be the biggest obstacle to installing a new harness. I purchase a new expanded fuse panel and relays to handle the heavy current used by the headlights. The turn signal and running lights will be replaced with replacement LED bulbs. This will require replacing the two flashers with three terminal types that will work with LED bulbs. The LED bulbs will use MUCH LESS current such that the existing original wiring will be more than sufficient. Just need to eliminate the design deficiencies of the original with modern parts and practices. In other words, fix only what needs fixing.