HybridZ

280zx ignition switch replace.

KoolMan

i have a 280zx the ignition had gotten stuck about a month ago on the acc and ended up turning the key all the way around past the START going all the way around and that seemed to fix it.

the ignition got stuck on the ON yesterday and now will not let me turn the car off. its manual so i put it in gear and take the clutch out and it turns off (which i do not like doing.) i took the car to a lock smith and they said the key was in good condition but they did not work on the actual car. so they send me to some other place and they said it would be the tumbler that needs to be replaced.

i was thinking of going to the junk yard and getting an ignition from another 280zx and getting the locksmith to make a key for me. the only problem that i see is that two of the 4 screws dont have a head they are shaved off for anti-theft. im thinking i can take the steering wheel off and all the thing and have it come off from the top.

in the mean while is there a way to setup a switch to turn it off for the time being? or will i have to keep doing the clutch thing.

since im going to get someone to make a key for the ignition made can i get a 300zx ignition instead? I had already bought the keys for the later models of the 280zx which fit the 300zx too ( the ones that look like a D)

ignition at the junk yard would be 15$ +the key that they guy will make.

the mechanic said it would be 30$ for the tumbler and 100 for labor i dont want to pay that much.

let me know what ideas you guys come up with

Thanks

• 2 years later...