HybridZ

79zx2+2

PR280z

You probably have the highly sought after 3.36 R200 diff in that car. Worth checking out. I for one have been looking for one for a very long time.

Is there some marking on the outer surface that it can tell me what i have or do i have to take the cover off? There`s always a story behind every car. This 79ZX2+2 was the parts getter in a JYard nearby. That particular day i was searching for some Bronco parts for my old man. I notice the ZX hidden afar under a tree. The owner of the yard wanted $800 for the car. I offered him 200. since The car didn`t have a title neither any reverse...PAID&SOLD! My Plans were to part it out, but that changed when i went to pick up the car on a flat-bed the next day. The owner was out for the day and I was attended by his wife in which tells me she has the title of the car. Absolutely GREAT! GOT IT FOR 200. Now its about a rebuild and KEEPING THE ZX ALIVE! Do you still have the Gran National? I`m thinking about swapping a Buick/GN motor in my TR7 some time in the future. Are you able to give me some leads for the swap?

Edited by PR280z

Is there some marking on the outer surface that it can tell me what i have or do i have to take the cover off? There`s always a story behind every car. This 79ZX2+2 was the parts getter in a JYard nearby. That particular day i was searching for some Bronco parts for my old man. I notice the ZX hidden afar under a tree. The owner of the yard wanted $800 for the car. I offered him 200. since The car didn`t have a title neither any reverse...PAID&SOLD! My Plans were to part it out, but that changed when i went to pick up the car on a flat-bed the next day. The owner was out for the day and I was attended by his wife in which tells me she has the title of the car. Absolutely GREAT! GOT IT FOR 200. Now its about a rebuild and KEEPING THE ZX ALIVE! Do you still have the Gran National? I`m thinking about swapping a Buick/GN motor in my TR7 some time in the future. Are you able to give me some leads for the swap?

Pull the diff cover off. Look on the ring gear for 37:11 stamping. Post a a few pics of the diff cover, it should look more round than square.

To me that looks like the standard R180 with uni joints (well thats a guess because no 79 280zx's I've seen in Australia have R200's)

it will be easier to be more confident if you take a picture from the back (facing forward) this is not the best angle but it does look skinny.

Edited by ovenfood

It's an R200. Either do a count of wheel to pinion turns or pull the cHoover off and keep your fingers crossed :)

Are you sure its a 2+2? In your first pic of your car I don't see the door latch release on inside of the door panel for the rear occupants. I have to agree with ovenfood in thinking its a R180. However here in the States I had a79'280zx 2+2 that had a R200 3:70 in it. Even if you pull the cover and it has a 37:11 stamping on the ring gear

we still don't know if its a r200 or r180. If you want to know for sure.. remove one of the half shafts then remove the stub axle from the side of the differential, count the splines on the stub axle there should be 29 for the R200 and 25 for the R180.

Edited by redleg

Would this be the one?2iksbw4.jpg

Are you sure its a 2+2? In your first pic of your car I don't see the door latch release on inside of the door panel for the rear occupants. I have to agree with ovenfood in thinking its a R180. However here in the States I had a79'280zx 2+2 that had a R200 3:70 in it. Even if you pull the cover and it has a 37:11 stamping on the ring gear

we still don't know if its a r200 or r180. If you want to know for sure.. remove one of the half shafts then remove the stub axle from the side of the differential, count the splines on the stub axle there should be 29 for the R200 and 25 for the R180.

Yes its a 2+2 note the rear window shape. And its easier than that to know if its R200 if the bolts are about 7 13/16 inch (7.8" or 20cm) from left to right. I just roughly measured it. If its a bit less that its an R180

The drain hole plugs make me think its a R200 (R200's seem to be internally wrenching and R180s seem to have a protruding square drive)

Diff.jpg

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/50499-differential-cv-lsd-hp-torque-r160-r180-r200-r230-diff-mount-faq/

Edited by ovenfood

I`LL DO SOME MEASURING TOMORROW. I`LL ALSO CHECK MY OTHER 81&83ZX COUPES TO COMPARE THE DIFFERENCES AND WHILE I`M AT I`LL SEE WHAT MY S30Z TURBO HAS. YOU ALL SURE KNOW YOUR DIFFERENTIALS! THANKZ!