HybridZ

Easy differential installation

RebekahsZ

I dropped my R180 onto my head one too many times this weekend and came up with an idea of how to make diff install much easier. I'm putting in an LS2, but I'm going to break my WRx diff before getting anything stronger, then i have access to lots of worn-out R200s that I will try to have welded and then break a few of them before paying thru the nose for a CLSD R200 or even yet a R230 install. Anyway, start with a $59 Harbor Freight lightweigh aluminum jack. Drill two holes in the lifting pad. Cut out a sillouette of the diff from 3/4" plywood and drill some holes in it and bolt it to the jack. Put two ropes thru it to tie around the output flanges so the diff doesn't fall off and break off a half-shaft bolt, and there you have it-a homebuilt diff jack. Makes install a dream!post-5903-007225500 1306295845_thumb.jpg

Very cool. I did pretty much the same thing to reinstall my 4L60E transmission without pulling the engine. I used a 22 mm socket bolted to a 12x12 1/2" aluminum plate. The socket fits into the swivel head on my jack making the whole thing much more maneuverable.