HybridZ

Drifting handbrake (hydraulic handbrake)

I want that bracket!

I'm interested in the bracket setup as well! Your measurements and drawings would help a bit rather than having to redo all of that when getting hands on the maxima brackets.

It seems like a much better option to run the two parallel systems for hydraulic rear brakes to get around that issue.

I may end up taking on this project this summer as well, it's just the machining of the brackets that gets me down due to cost. I wish we could have found interest and pitched in with you to reduce cost for us all to have the dual caliper rear disks.

Edited by TheMission

The in-line reservoir system is kind of funny. The adjustment of your handbrake affects the feel of the pedal brake system-the two are connected and feedback into one another. Pull the hand brake and the footbrake pushes up; step on the foot brake and the handbrake handle moves. I like it a lot better now that I have a remote reservoir.

I've read that pulling both the handbrake and pressing on the pedal at the same time is weird with the inline setup, but technically, if the setup is correct, when the handbrake is not actuated, it should be fully flow through and not effect braking in any way. 4X4 Guys use inline cutting brakes all the time.

This setup is a great workaround for the issue, but as I've thought more about it, and read more about the inline setups, this seems like more money, weight, and complication to workaround that specific problem... Although the bling factor and the fact that formula drift and others use this setup is sweet.

Other than a workaround to the misgivings of the inline system and it's issues to adjustability, what would be the additional advantage of seperate calipers/brakes on the same rotor? Maybe if I can find a much much cheaper bracket solution, it may be tempting.

Edited by TheMission

My bracket wasn't the best. Go ahead and get your disc swap kit then get a piece of graph paper and a compass and scratch it out with a pencil-I'm not a genius or anything. I just saw that Datsun parts has a wildwood conversion kit on eBay. I thought the price was very fair. That might be a good kit to adapt as the maxima calipers are pretty expensive at about $120 each, and I used 4 and bought 2 spares. Try the inline system and if you like it use it. Plenty people do. I just didn't like it personally and I used it for a year. Other than drag race staging, what maneuver could I do with front brake control? I saw a friend's hand brake from Godspeed and it was a pretty nice unit, same design as my K-sport, but much better construction.

Edited by RebekahsZ

You've got me intrigued. I'll call up the guy in vegas and see if I can get a kit headed up this way and see what he'll charge to throw in another set of calipers with it. You may have something here... It's just the crazy cost you paid to have the bracket fabbed up that gets me. There has to be a cheaper way. If I go this direction, I do like the unit with the master built in - I found a great one here, but where to mount it will be the issue I'm sure. - http://asdmotorsports.3dcartstores.com/ASD-Universal-Hydraulic-E-Brake-10-Pull-Back_p_10.html

Great thinking!

Shaun in Vegas isn't making them anymore I guess. He states frankly that he doesn't have anymore and he doesn't know when he is going to make any... So anyone else don't waste your time, (Despite him still having a CL post up regarding)...

Datsun Parts LLC has the same bracket, although much better milled, so I've ordered that bracket and am going to sell it after I try to do the same as you RebekahZ. Someone will get a discount bracket once I'm done. I'll source the maxima calipers junk locally and rebuild them to save cost and get new 300zx rotors online.

The idea is sound and I think there are others who will follow in your footsteps... It's just the brackets that make the swap tricky. If I can get them made cheaper, I'll see if I can pick up a few other guys to go in on it. If only I had a milling machine...

Did Shaun tell you what rotor his kit uses? I will need to know someday. If you can figure out the back spacing think about trying to use a front caliper as your drift caliper. Then you won't have to have room for the unused e brake brackets on the second caliper.

• 3 weeks later...

If shauns kit is the same I picked up, is '85 300zx non-turbo rotors.

I've got the prototype of my attempt at the bracket completed. I've found a machininst and am going to source, cut, and drill my aluminum myself to save cost, but need the machining to spec done by him... Here's a pic of my test fit prototype. It's rough, but all that really matters is hole spacing and the machining specs of the inner and outer cuts on the bracket.

photobucket-1596-1334531732188.jpg

It looks nifty.

Looks super. The e brake cable will be very close to the strut tube. Make sure you completely mock up to be sure that clears. I just picked up some ceramic pads to try. The porter fields have to be warmed up to work well which hurts spontaneous use of the hand brake. It needs to work cold. I will report back. I am glad I was right-you did fine without my drawing. That pretty much looks the same.

• 1 year later...

Got tired of crappy performance of my maxima based drifting brake and decided to re-do it with AZC components.  I can now lock the wheels with slicks going down a straight road at 30mph (haven't tried faster).  Used Wilwood's highest friction compound pad.  Going to be a chalk-block man this year and perhaps do the AZC cable parking brake next year - gotta do some other things on the car other than brakes.

post-5903-0-09098600-1389484283_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-12674700-1389484420_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-88304000-1389484548_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-59393200-1389484571_thumb.jpg

Edited by RebekahsZ

It's nice to know I can always come here for more information on my new (your old) rear discs! I got the package a few days back and sent a message to you. Tomorrow will be the day to start tearing into everything. The plan is to get everything done in one day as I just sold my other car. 

I'm more into everything. I use it for holding my position on a hill at a stop sign or my driveway and loading on a trailer. I use it when bumping up to the second staging light at the strip. Now that it actually works, I may use it for some parking lot horseplay. I use a solenoid for locking the fronts for burnout.