HybridZ

how do I remove and install the crankshaft pulley nut with the motor on a stand?

Welp, I did it again f-ing knucklehead over here made more work for himself...

Putting my rebuilt head on and ARP studs, i decided to drop one of the washers down the front timing cover...

^&%*^%*&^$##@@#$^%{:content:}amp;%^{:content:}amp;^%{:content:}amp;^%{:content:}amp;^%$ and many curse words later :fmad: I got my magnet on a stick and tried to get it out, turn the motor upside down on the stand and shake it back and forth. Took the oil pump off and still couldnt find it. After two hours of trying I decided Im going to have to pull the front cover.

Question is, how do I remove and install the crankshaft pulley nut with the motor on a stand? I could probably get it off with an impact, but how do I get it torqued back on? Need some good old guy tricks here. It would be easy if the motor was in the car...

I wedged an oak hammer handle between the #1 crank lobe and the side of the block. The pan has to be off for this. Your washer may be in the pan anyhow. At least the engine isn't in the car already, on a positive note.

Edited by cygnusx1

Just put two of the flywheel bolts in the end of the crank (half way threaded in) and use a large pry bar wedged across them to hold the crank from turning while using a impact....

...duh :rolleyes:, and the engine stand mounts will be perfect to brace the bar against. Thanks guys, hopefully I can track down this dern thing.

I am going to try to remove the oil pan first though, however when I was turning it around I never heard it moving around in the oil pan, I suspect it got lodged in one of the timing chain guides.