HybridZ

Sanden A/C compressor bracket 240z Ls1

If you have an LSx engine swap into a late 260 or 280Z, Johns Cars a/c mount and compressor is the way to go..... . These cars require the a/c compressor to be mounted on the left side. John's bracket is designed for late 260/280 compressor location.

However, if you are installing a/c in a 240z, you most likely are looking for a bracket that mounts the a/c compressor on the right side. There is a plethora of a/c brackets that mount a Sanden compressor (usually a 508) high on the right side of the LSx. The problem with all three of the following brackets (Pace Performance, Eddies Motorsport, and Kwick Performance) is that the compressor hangs too far out from the engine and interferes with the strut tower sheet metal.

All three of these companies publish the metrics of their installations stating the distance from the outside of the compressor clutch to the center-line of the engine. Pace Performance is the widest; Eddies Motorsport is the narrowest (It uses a Sanden SD7.. not the 508) and Kwick Performance is somewhat wider than Eddies Motorsport.

I purchased the Kwick Performance right hand a/c compressor bracket for an LM7.. that is the truck version of an LSx. This is designed to mount a variety of Sandens, including the 508 and the SD7. I believe the SD7 is the smallest compressor made by Sanden. My internet search for Geo/Metro a/c compressors shows a Sanden was installed in several years of Suzuki/Swift/Geo/Metro and in checking those part numbers with Sanden's website it appears that the Geo Sanden is a SD7.

The Sanden website states the SD7 clutch drive is 100mm wide, making it the narrowest compressor on Sanden's website. In comparison, the 508's clutch drive is 130mm (more or less). The 508 does not fit in the 240z engine compartment with the Kwick bracket, it is too long and too wide. However, the SD7 is substantially shorter than the 508 with the hose connections on the top of the compressor.

Kwick Performance states in their material that their bracket will mount a number of Sanden compressors... including the SD7. Now, the Sanden website lists two versions of the SD7: one is an upgrade; both have the same outside dimensions. Both are also discontinued models.

The best is saved for the last: the Kwick Performance brackets are constructed of plate AL and mount to the head by two cap screws. One of these capscrews also captures a "V" shaped brace that also bolts to the water pump bolts. There is more than enough AL "meat" to slot the plates allowing them to slide in toward the engine block by at least 1/4-3/8 of an inch. Slotting the two bracket plates does not affect the location or function of the "V" shaped brace, but will move the compressor closer to the engine and further away from the strut supports.

This weekend I will be salvaging a complete aftermarket a/c off an early 260Z and will have the opportunity to look over about 6 1990's Geo/Suzuki/Metros. If I find a Sanden, I'll pull it as a core and mock it up on my Z.

As a side note, I've not been able to upload any photos into my Album for two years, since the last program change. If some kind administrator would take it upon her/him/it/person-selves to direct me to a "help" section that explains how to post into my album, I'd post detailed photographs of the "above".

G