HybridZ

RB20DE+T HELP!!!

sickofgrip

Hey I have a RB20DE R32 Skyline and ive just got all the required parts to turbo it (manifold, turbo, intercooler, downpipe etc) sick of it being underpowered!!!

However ive never done this before and dont quite know where to start.... Could obviously just pay someone to do it but I think it will be alot more satisfying if I manage to do it myself.

Any tips? or does anyone know of a website that could help me? Maybe even step by step instructions hahaha

What part of NZ are you in?

Have a look on Skylines Downunder you'll prob find more info there.

The conversion itself shouldn't be too hard:

Remove N/A exhaust manifold.

Fit oil return fitting to block

Fit turbo manifold, heatshield, turbo & lines

Plumb up intercooler if you are fitting one

Do skid/blow up motor

The best tool you can use is the SEARCH function. There is a lot information out there you just have to dig through some stuff. You may need to get an ecu from a 20DET. I don't think you would need to do any fuel mods. Maybe a pump, but the stock setup should flow enough fuel. You will have run coolent and oil lines to the turbo. I'm sure your not the first do this, so there will be answers for any problems that may/will arise. You might have to do some cutting to get the IC piping the way you want it. Take luck, and remember your best friend is named SEARCH.

Im from Palmerston North.

Skylinesdownunder doesnt seem to say much however skylinesaustralia seems to have quite a bit of info.

Do you think ill need to change my airflow meter?

Or will the standard rb20de one work fine?

Also have been offered a wastespark setup for cheap do you think this will be worthwhile?

IMO if you are talking about using the coils from a holden v6 (buick v6) I think its a great idea, 1st reason: if one breaks there is milions around to relpace it for cheap. 2nd reason: having the coils not in the valley and having them in a cooler place will keep their temp down and reliablility up. 3rd reason: they are easy 1/4 to 1/2 the price of super spark or even standard replacements from nissan. :>

and to be honest if you can't find info on RB's in SAU, boostcruising, nissan silvia or something like that you're not looking hard enough :>

(not trying to be mean but the info should be there)

Um not sure about computer, atm I still have the standard rb20de one but I just got offered a 25det computer and fuel pump... will these work in a 20de+t?

Also I have a R33 25det standard sidemount intercooler atm but have been told there useless and to get an aftermarket front mount... What do you think?

And yea the wastespark setup is off my mates VL commie he reckons it gives a cleaner more reliable spark, saves gas and will increase KW but hes known to talk **** haha anyone know if this is true?

I personally believe your mate is correct to a point. Not due to it being wasted spark but just that the coils are more likely to be in better condition and the turbo RB's love a good spark. The 25 computer may work I have heard of some interchangeability but I am not sure. Best advice I can give is look into a nistune chip for like $250 and full tune ability it is pretty win. The side mount will be fine for running the car in getting it setup and saving some money, but its probably not a bad idea to buy a 400x300x75 FMIC for $100 off ebay (don't go too big you don't have a massive engine)

and to be honest if you can't find info on RB's in SAU, boostcruising, nissan silvia or something like that you're not looking hard enough :>

(not trying to be mean but the info should be there)

Agreed, between HybridZ and SAU, I found tons of information on the RB20. I know I've run across talk about making a +T but didn't look at it much since it didn't pertain to me.

About the RB25 ECU, it's doubtful it will work all that well. Since we discovered the ECU for my RB20DET was toast my car has been limping around the shop with a 25 ECU they have. It runs well enough to move it in and out of the shop but not much more than that.