HybridZ

280z blower motor upgrade?

What are some of the known blower motor upgrades that have been done? I know of the Honda civic/crx one but I've heard the output isn't really that much of an upgrade over the stock system. It's going to be 100+ over where I'm at so I need something that's gonna do a better job.

Edited by KetchupNinja

It's already well over 100 here in Phoenix... When my stock blower died a few weeks back, I used a blower from a 1999 Kia SUV (I think it was a "Sportage" - I also think they only make one...) It's about the same dimensions as the Honda blower, but the cage is a little wider and it has more fins. It spins the right direction, and the electrical connector is a direct plugin - polarity is correct.

The mounting holes are just a wee bit off, but it's mounting plate is plastic so it was easy to "oval out" the holes to make them line up perfectly with the nuts in the blower box.

The squirrel cage is slightly too big for the hole in the blower box. You have to pull the blower box out and cut the hole a little bigger. A pair of "right" and "left" cut avaition snips made easy work of it. I wanted to keep the mounting nuts as-is on the blower box, so I put the new squirrel cage close to two of the nuts and drew a circle with a sharpie.

That left one of the nuts on the inside of the circle. I just cut a straight line on the inside if that nut and followed the circle I drew around the rest of the box. Then I just had to tilt the blower into the hole and I used all the original mounting nuts to secure it. That also means that I (or someone else) could re-install a stock fan if I ever wanted too. (Actually, I won't - I LOVE my A/C! And I want it to blow as hard as it can...)

You have to mount the fan in the box and then reinstall the blower box - won't work to do them seperately...

The Kia blower moves quite a bit more air than the factory blower. The ductwork design is pretty terrible though and even a fantastic blower is only going to do so much...

Oh, mine's a 260, but my blower box, motor, and fan were exactly the same as my son's '76 280.