HybridZ

71 240z Re-Wire using GM Products

I just tore down my interior, including the removal of the dash in order to redo things the way I imagined. I'm aiming for a minimalistic spartan-like interior involving a possible fabrication of a dash and all new gauges. To my dismay and disappointment it was truly a rats-nest wiring mess underneath the dash; the previous owner(s) took a few stabs at redoing a few things that were included with the JTR swap of a carbed SBC 355.

HERES MY QUESTION:

I've been tirelessly reading all that I can about these EZ/Painless re-wire kits they have available.

Wipers, Gauges, Coil, Headlight, Fan, Turn Signal, Radio, Brake, AC/Heat, Choke, Horn, and Hazard--this is pretty much all I want.

In order to make my life easier I was wondering if it were possible to toss out the stock steering tree switches (lights, turns, wipers, ignition) for a GM product. This way I can get the EZ wire kit coded for GM and everything is more plug-and-play friendly rather than the cumbersome analysis of the wiring diagrams.

I'm sure I could come up with some kind of steering tree cover; perhaps retrofit something off the donor GM vehicle.

Am I dreaming? Or is this a feasible route?

When I did my LT1 swap I took the entire chassis harness from the '94 Z28 donor and put it in my 280Z to eliminate all the stock 280Z wiring. Not the easiest thing since you have to eliminate a lot of the GM harness you don't need and shorten and lengthen some wires. But the good thing is the GM harness is easy to follow, consistent color coded wires and all connectors are keyed or different (you can't plug anything is wrong). However your idea of using the column harness has issues. The ignition switch on GM cars is NOT on the key switch but actually at the bottom of the column and activated mechanically using a rod. Trying to get that configured was more trouble for me than I thought it was worth and ended up using a dash mounted ignition switch.I guess it would be possible to adapt the GM column to the Z but again it didn't look easy.