HybridZ

easiest way to check lash pad size?

bigbreak_2000

I'm planning on a different/larger cam for the engine. The cam supplier asked me to check the base circle of the current cam and also measure the lash pad thickness. Its a 3.1L stroker. Its a relative new engine top to bottom. I measured the base circle, it came to 1.141. The lobe, nose to end measures 1.461. Is there an easy way to remove a lash pad? I'm not a mechanic and never worked on valve gear. My thinking was if I push hard enough down on the spring retainer, the relieve on the rocker would allow me to slip a lash pad out/and back in. So I proceeded without removing or loosening anything, I tried to push down on the spring retainer of the valve where the lobe points upwards, but couldn't get it to compress.

Do I have to unclip the valve rocker spring first?

Do I need a special tool to compress that spring?

I'm afraid of loosening the rocker pivot locknut; that might adjust the valve clearance right?

If its that's risky procedure and gets complicated without specialized tools and experience I'd rather take it during the week to a Datsun mechanic nearby and pay the $$$. Any recommendation?

Edited by bigbreak_2000

Select any valve where the cam lobe is not contacting the rocker arm. Remove the mousetrap spring. Loosen and lower the rocker pedestal (not requried, but makes it easier). Using a long flat tip screw driver (or a short pry bar), press down on the spring retainer using the underside of the cam as leverage. Press the spring down far enough to slip the rocker arm and then remove the lash pad.

One question I would have is since your engine does not appear to be stock, without pulling and measuring all of the lash pads (a big pain), how can you be certain that one lash pad you measure is the same as the rest?