HybridZ

Automatic Mixture Control

cygnusx1

I just bought Tuner Studio so I am making the move to attempting some VE Analyze auto tuning. However, I need to fill out the parameters in the "EGO Control" and "Automatic Mixture Control" dialogs. Any advice with using VE Analyze? Does it use the settings I input in those two dialogs, or does it have it's own "canned" parameters that it uses?

I run MSII with an LC1 wideband, about 4" past the turbine.

Edited by cygnusx1

The VE analyze is different from the EGO controller, and they will have their own separate control parameters that you will set. The EGO controller will be active all the time that it is within it's control parameters and will basically scale the PW equation by a certain percentage to try to get as close to the target AFR for that given engine speed/load point. The VE analyze will actually alter your VE tables to get as close to the targer AFR as possible. That is the difference, EGO control doesn't alter your VE table, VE analyze will. I recommend saving your tune under a new file name everytime before using VE analyze. My LC-1 is very finicky and I'm afraid it might really screw things up for me if I don't save my tune before using VE analyze.

OK after about 75 miles of VE Analyze on the streets, it's not making many changes anymore. I suppose it's close to ideal now. I saved the maps at every stage. It is running really great now. It makes me look like a competent tuner. I have a tiny lean hiccup when I BARELY rest my foot on the throttle, and hold it there with the engine in a "neutral pull" state, rolling down the road. I suspect my TPS might have a "hair" in it or something. I tuned it to 10psi up to about 5500 rpms. It feels really good, with smooth and strong mid and low end torque now. Cruise is right around 14.5.

I really don't think I want to run the EGO Controller because I am happy with the map right now. However, if I do get some leaning out due to "external effects" like some vapor lock..etc., EGO Control can smooth that out a bit. You think?

Thanks for the advice.

Edited by cygnusx1

I set my EGO Control to 10% authority but I am leaving off the Automatic Mixture Control since Tuner Studio MS did a good job of honing in the map. I'll run it like this for a few days to see how it handles various conditions.

I hear that a lot. My engine needs to idle at 12-12.5 and if I get much over 15 in the cruise range, it starts to lose it's smoothness. My car either likes to run rich, or my LC1 is off base. I recalibrate it regularly to open air.

I have mine idling smoothly at around 14.5:1 right now, maybe try changing your idle timing settings? If I set my idle VE to make it idle at 12.5:1 it smells worse than it did when carburated. I have also found that leaner than 15:1 at cruise makes it feel jerky and hesitant, but at idle you seem to be dumping a lot of fuel into it.

As far as that lean hiccup at very small throttle inputs, I had the same problem, I realized that my 240sx TPS wasn't reading any input until it saw about 8% throttle, it would stay at 0% until it got to where it hit 8% then jump to that. So if your ACCEL enrichment settings are primarily TPS based that could be a problem. I have my enrichments set at 25% TPS based and 75% MAP based, it seems much smoother at tip in that way.

I tried messing with my idle timing to get a nice idle with leaner mix, but no matter what, once I approach 14 it starts missing, and idling rough. I have a feeling, that at idle, my Ford 42# injectors have trouble atomizing/metering fuel. Or maybe it's just a bad injector or two causing me to run the whole bunch too rich. I have thought about it a lot. Idle smoothness improved greatly when I cut the electrodes back on the spark plugs.

I messed with the TPS and it seems like it is working fine. There are no jumps in the signal, nor in the datalogs. I run 20% TPS in the AE. I find it much smoother tip in that way too. I also took some slop out of my throttle linkage and now need to go for a test drive.

Edited by cygnusx1

Well, that was exciting! :o I went for a test drive and turned on VE Analyze with automatic table updates, it started making the cruise are of the VE table leaner and leaner and leaner, until the car barely could run. No problem right? Pull over and upload the previous map. Nope, at the same time the car was bucking and missing and struggling to drive, the clutch slave failed totally! So here I am about 25 miles from home on the highway with a car that is barely driveable, with no clutch pedal... I didn't want to stop and reload the map, and doing it while driving is not a good idea....I kept nursing the car, and staying out of the "un-tuned" areas of the VE Table to keep the car alive. I managed to plan a route with no lights all the way home. All was fine until a school bus had traffic stopped in both directions. I managed to slow down enough to avoid the 2-1 shift until the traffic cleared out. Then I had to make two more down shifts to get into my road, and then driveway. I almost drove through the back of the garage because I forgot to yank the gear shift out of first...remember, no clutch dummy! Whew.

If you saw how steep and narrow my driveway is, you would be impressed that I got the car in without a clutch. :D

Edited by cygnusx1

• 4 weeks later...

LOL. It's running great. Been tuning with VE Analyze Live, with a less econo AFR map, and it really likes the extra fuel. My leanest in cruise is around 14.2. My engine REALLY hates to get lean for some reason. It just runs and sounds so much healthier when it's eating 13.0 - 13.8's. AE tuning took a while but it's good enough now. I will post a latest .msq very soon.

I got the EGO control working very well by experimenting with transport delays until corrections stopped oscillating. I held the RPMS to about 2500 and watched EGO control swing back and forth. Starting from 0, I increased the transport delays until the swinging slowed, and then it finally locked on a steady correction.

Edited by cygnusx1