HybridZ

Stripping subframe/suspension parts

Hey everyone, Before I get my new ZX running I want to tear down the suspension and subframe pieces to clean them and make them look all purty and shiny.

I'm also doing this becasue I'm getting an awesome deal on powdercoating from my friends motorcycle shop. He told me though that the stripping is going to be the worst, and will cost way more than the powdercoating itself. So I'm thinking of investing in a soda blaster since I could also use it for the interior and paint. If that doesn't work then soaking everything in a barrel of degreaser and then sending them somewhere to get sand blasted is my next option. The little brackets, front control arms and rear trailing arms shouldn't be a problem since they are sorta small, but the actual crossmember is probably going to suck since it's so long.

For anyone that has cleaned and powdercoated this kind of stuff, what did you do? how did it turn out?

I bought a media blast cabinet from Harbor Freight and it was well worth the money. I started trying to sand blast parts with a traditional sand blaster but it was messy and time consuming. In a cabinet it's much easier to see what you are doing and you don't need all the body armor and respirator.

I don't think the subframe pieces will fit in the $200 cabinet. It would be sweet though. Also I've heard that soda blasting is better and has less clean up. you jsut have baking soda crap all over the place. but from what I'm reading, soda might not be able to cut through the thick paint on the subframe

Edited by BluDestiny

I would buy a cabinet for the smaller stuff, Use a tarp and blast your frame rails outside and reuse your media which you collected with your tarp. I never messed with soda blasting and dont really know much about it. If you wanted to really save yourself money, buy your own powder coating gun from harbor freight for 69.00 then your pant is only 10 to 20 dollars depending on color/ metalic/pearl choices. Get you a old house oven and remove the bottom rack to suspend your parts. It only has to be 350 to 425 degrees for atiquite curing. I took two 55 gal drums turned them end for end and welded them together. Cut me a door and welded a hanging rack in side. I then starpped a dolly on it for mobility, I then added legs and mounted a large propane burner with regulator on the bottom for a heat source. Added 2 temp gauges and oven seals to the door, then painted the oven with High Temp Black paint. So for little more than 200 dollars, I bought all the supplies to do my own powdercoating. Suppliers, Harbor Freight.com, Eastwood.com It's just some options for you. Good Luck With Your Build

I would buy a cabinet for the smaller stuff, Use a tarp and blast your frame rails outside and reuse your media which you collected with your tarp. I never messed with soda blasting and dont really know much about it. If you wanted to really save yourself money, buy your own powder coating gun from harbor freight for 69.00 then your pant is only 10 to 20 dollars depending on color/ metalic/pearl choices. Get you a old house oven and remove the bottom rack to suspend your parts. It only has to be 350 to 425 degrees for atiquite curing. I took two 55 gal drums turned them end for end and welded them together. Cut me a door and welded a hanging rack in side. I then starpped a dolly on it for mobility, I then added legs and mounted a large propane burner with regulator on the bottom for a heat source. Added 2 temp gauges and oven seals to the door, then painted the oven with High Temp Black paint. So for little more than 200 dollars, I bought all the supplies to do my own powdercoating. Suppliers, Harbor Freight.com, Eastwood.com It's just some options for you. Good Luck With Your Build

I'd be interested in seeing this setup.....

But more importantly, the finished product. B)

I used electrolysis to remove any rust from my suspension parts but it also did a good job of getting most of the gunk off, Do it overnight use a wire brush on a drill and shines up really good and no more rust.

Edited by 19762802+2