HybridZ

HEI Problem? Bad Miss after 15 minutes.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

OK HEI users does this sound like anything you have experienced? It runs great for 12 - 15 minutes. GETS WARM AND I LOOSE 1 - 2 Cylinders.

I am running a 350 with an 1987 Z28 TPI setup into a 700r4. Crate engine has 24000 miles and a mild cam. Only recently started to loose one or more cylinders after 10-15 minutes of highway driveing. Car runs normal temps. I have noticed short puff white smoke when starting after work in the afternoon. I have a 71 240 and don't have smog equipment active.

Any way to test HEI other than remove & replace?

icon_confused.gif

Guest Anonymous

have you tried replacing the cintrol module inside the distributor yet?? let me know where your at i can stop by and take a look at it im in san diego as well...

Guest grinsha

There are a couple things you can check on an HEI coil to see if it is bad. Grab the metal square around the coil and see if the coil will move inside it. It should rotate slightly. If it is stuck the plastic has probably melted inside the coil.

Look at the sides of the plastic cover on the coil near the middle of the metal square. if you see a discolored area the coil is leaking. The discoloration is usualy (In my experience) in a circular pattern. The coil is closest to the ground here.

[ September 07, 2001: Message edited by: Grinsha ]

Guest Anonymous

Update.. New module-Cap-rotor seems to have done it. Long roadtest today. The degrade in performance very clear after new components installed. Anybody had bad experience with with aftermarket HEI module?

Uncle ED

Guest Anonymous

icon_sad.gif Well guess what?? New coil, new rotor,

new cap, new module. Still misses after my normal 15 minute, fast run home. It appears after high speed run on" TAXI into Hanger".

Since part of the normal smog equipment was removed could it be a leak in the EGR system?Remember it runs great during warmup and at freeway speeds.

Uncle ED icon_confused.gif