HybridZ

Motor Options and Opinions Needed

I recently purchased a 76 280z and after some research found that he had put in a 2.6 liter motor and installed triple webers. The head valve seats are deteriorating as they evidently have never been replaced with hardened seats. After a little research i want to take a N42 head and place it on a later 280zx motor with flattop pistons to raise the compression to about 10:1. I found a N42 head and a 280zx motor at the local junkyard and they sell parts really cheap probably less than 200 for the head and block. The N42 head they have does not have a valve cover and everything has rust all over it. My question is if the rust is too bad to polish off will everything except the intake valves, which were smaller in the 2.6 i believe, swap from the E88 to the N42 (cam, rockers, springs, etc...) If not could i also grab a 280zx head and use it to swap parts?

Just bring the N42 to a machine shop and have them clean and test it. Then have them do a 5 angle valve job and put in hardened seats since it probably has bronze seats. Throw in a Cam and some porting and you got a decent head to play with. A cam can make better use of that compression also.

Thanks for the advice i think I will do just that one of my friends use to own a machine shop so i think ill grab the head and have him send it to his old shop to have it looked over and hopefully they will be able to clean it up.

I need to have my distributor taken to a shop to adjust it cause im having timing issues with the triples. Its the later electronic ignition but it has not been modified to run 16 at idle. If i bump it up that high at idle i get a little pinging on the highway.

Do you think there will be problems with a 10:1 compression ratio.

Yeah because triple webers need 16 BTDC and the stock distributor is designed for 8 BTDC so i need to get the distributor recurved so im not at 40 something degrees on the highway.

Who would i send my cam out too and how much would that cost?