HybridZ

Head repair??

az240z

I'm having a P90A head rebuilt. After taking the head apart and cleaning it they found what appears to be a weld. Being that they haven't done many of these he wanted to know if this is common on these heads. Check out the pics and let me know what you think it is. While waiting for a go ahead from me he will be pressure testing the head.

post-1139-083412800 1310145122_thumb.jpg post-1139-025005100 1310145117_thumb.jpg post-1139-081608700 1310145103_thumb.jpg

That is just a casting void. Nothing to worry about; it's not been welded or anything.

Have the head pressure checked between the oil and water passages, just in case, because a casting void that size can possibly point to a poor casting. If it pressure tests fine, then I would run it.

I'd think I would find someone else who knows about L series heads too. If they can't tell that is casted there is something else wrong. I was looking for some microscopic welds in that pic and was like what welds.

I had an N42 head that had a casting defect just outside the base of the spring seat on an inner cylinder. I had run the head for quite some time and it only showed up when it began to leak coolant into the oil. I found it by pressure testing - would probably never have found it by sight.

I can't tell you if it's something to be concerned about - in my case I had another head so reassembled everything on it and used the first head to practice unshrouding valves.