HybridZ

Can someone ID this flywheel

Dave-ve

I'm attempting a 5 speed swap on a L28 and I've run into a problem. The flywheel that I got has a raised portion at the back near the ring gear that is touching the spacer. Can someone tell what engine this is for? I'm assuming it's the wrong part. I've never handled a L series flywheel before.

est179.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

est238.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I've got to ask---did you check your flywheel end-play? I, in 25 years+ of working on these engines have NEVER seen that!

The ONLY thing I can think of is that it's an L20B flywheel with an extra-big inertia ring. I put my L28 Flywheel on the Boy's L20B Automatic Conversion...no issues. That would be a reach.

It's not from an LD28, the only other heavy flywheel with different thickness---no positioning dowel in the bolt pattern.

Which leads me back to a badly worn center thrust bearing allowing the crankshaft to float forward like that.

Was this engine running previously? Is it a manual transmission engine? What is the diameter of the friction face on the flywheel?

Engine was running perfectly before. The engine appears to have been rebuilt by a previous owner. 100k on the odo and no buildup in the intake valves. Starts and runs smoothly and oil pressure is stable.

The gearbox and flywheel came out of a scrapped Datsun 280C sedan. I've read that the spacer is not needed with the manual transmission so I'll remove it to see if it makes a difference.

The cap that you guys are referring to is the spacer behind the flex plate? The manual bolts aren't long enough to work with the spacer on. The ring is about 6mm high.