HybridZ

Dropping Resistor wiring modification

I have a 1976 280Z and I have been having reliability issues with the Dropping resistor connectors. Initially I want to replace the connectors with GM Weatherpacks, but I cannot find any 6 pin connectors locally. I find it essential to have the six pin and a 4 pin connector opposed to having (2)4 pins and (1)1 pin which would be readily available where i live. I was thinking is wiring the resistors directly to the EFI harness by soldering and heat shrinking the wires carefully. I would have to exercise heat control because I would not think these would handle too much heat.

What do you guys think about the direct wiring method?

Order in a big connector and do them all at once. The heat is not a problem for the resistors. They're ceramic.

I replaced the dropping resistor factory connector with GM Weatherpack using the 81 resistor which has all six in one connector, and not the 2X4 configuration on the earlier cars. I don't think they are 'failure prone' so there shouldn't be an issue direct wiring them.

What I found is inside the 4X2 configuration they all go to common lines---the only difference on the common 6 connector is it's run that way from the same lines. The 4x2 connector links inside the harness the 4 & 2 connectors to a single wire, then that wire goes to the same place as the 6 single wires does. They just use the larger wire, and crimp it directly to the six individual wires that go into the resistor directly.

When you cut into the harness, you will see what I mean. Where the 4X2 crimps together, just solder or crimp all your 6 leads and you can use the later single resistor. If you wanted you could bolt together 2 of the 4 resistor units in your direct wire plan, then on the very remote chance that you had an issue with one individual resistor some time in the future, you would simply swap wires in the harness without having to remove everything.

I probably have photos someplace of my conversion using the 81 resistor and weatherpack. It was kind of unwiedly...but I used Weatherpack everywhere else...so I was kinda stuck! :P

Nice, thanks for the info. I wired the dropping resistors with a 10 pin connector. Unfortunately, I was not able to get a weatherpack connector but I got one that is almost as good. Now I am having issues with the connectors that are plugged into the injectors. I am hoping I can pick up some new connectors at a junkyard temporarily

Volvo 240's are your friend! They have all you will need, with good rubber on the boots, and a quick-release bail.

Toyotas are my favorite for AFM donors, since they used gold-plated pins on their AFMs...just need to get two connectors to make sure you have enough pins, and then move them accordingly.

Volvo 240's are your friend! They have all you will need, with good rubber on the boots, and a quick-release bail.

Toyotas are my favorite for AFM donors, since they used gold-plated pins on their AFMs...just need to get two connectors to make sure you have enough pins, and then move them accordingly.

Hey Tony,

Is it critical how the individual resistors are wired? I made sure the Positives were properly wired but I may have mixed up a couple of resistors. Can you shoot me in the right direction if i am on the wrong path? thanks!