HybridZ

QR25DE AWD

Have any of you thought about doing this swap? It was an idea I had the other day while doing an oil change on a Rogue that has this engine and is AWD. I briefly looked up performance parts, there is a bit of an aftermarket. I was thinking that one would get a Sentra spec v QR25DE and mate it up with the CVT and AWD from the Rogue. I was looking at the numbers and the spec v did 0-60 in like 7 seconds and has 180 ft lbs of torque, that is slightly less then my Z32 so this thing would get up off the line. I did come across a turbo kit for this engine as well which said it produced 275hp on the dyno. Forged internals, bigger turbo, high flowing injectors, etc, I believe that there is potential for this. The only problems unique to this build that I've come up with is obviously the driveshafts and it may be difficult/impossible to mount the engine CVT and transfer case such as to actually line up with the front wheels and with the engine being die cast it may not handle really high power output. I think though that if this was done right it would be a unique and kinda badass setup. Also I wonder if it would be possible to use the 6 speed manual trans with the transfer case.

I haven't really put any deep thought into this, just kinda off the top of my head and researching for about 30 minutes. I searched on the forum here but there isn't any posts about the QR25DE so I thought I would post this.

What are your thoughts as to why this would/wouldn't work and if this would be a good/bad swap.

Edited by randylwjr

One thing that I did read about is that it is intuitive all wheel drive which means that it is only AWD when the AWD module senses slipping, but you can set it to AWD lock which puts it in AWD until a certain speed is reached, although there doesn't seem to be any definite answer as to what that speed it. I've read from 10 up to 25 mph. I would imagine that there would be someway around this. Depending on exactly how the module activates the AWD it could be something as simple as running 12v to the transfer case, one could even throw a switch in there to turn it on and off, this is all hypothetical though, I would have to look at the wiring diagrams and schematics. Worse case though is that one turns it on to get up off the line then it turns off, one would loose the AWD handling but I don't think it would be that bad, aside from then having a FWD vehicle.

Edited by randylwjr

That sounds like a pretty interesting swap. Any thoughts about how you would get power to the front wheels? I imagine all of the front suspension would need to be removed, then something from an awd/fwd car welded to the frame in its place. Then there would be the issue of getting front drive axles sized correctly for the width of the car. That's probably quite a bit of work.

That was one of the main issues I had with this, if you couldn't get power to the front wheels then what would be the point. I've been doing more research and it seems that these engines can only handle maybe up to 300hp. This is because they are die cast which causes them to be more efficient but have thinner cylinder walls. Also there is nothing on any aspect of this build. No one has dropped in a spec v into a Rogue, I don't if it can be done, or matted the 6 speed manual with the transfer case. Actually I'm getting the feeling that the transaxle and the transfer case are one in the same. Haven't really come across that too much but it would make sense. The down side of that though is that you would be stuck using the CVT, which would make for a great drag car but then you're not really using the AWD. Maybe in a few years when I have the money I'll attempt something of the sort, or maybe there will be more info on it. I'm not worried about the work, in my opinion that is the fun part. Driving it all done is awesome but the build gets me excited and if I wanted easy I wouldn't think about swaps ;)

If you were going to do this, I would look at front axles from the Juke. I think its a tad smaller then a Rogue. The other thing to look at is that Nissans CVT trans is having some issues right now. Noisey Trans, Not moving, Slipping, They just upped the warrenty on them for 100k miles because of this. You may need a TCM and wiring harness from one of those vehicles also. Nissan CVT has about 6 harness connections to it. The AWD units are separate and not made into the trans. When you replace a Trans in any newer FWD nissan, it has to be Calibrated to the vehicle it is going in or it will not operated correctly. I am a tech at a nissan dealership. Just throwing what i know out to you.

Isn't the motor mounted transversely(sp?)? If so, id think that would be the real issue. I was reading a thread on a guy swapping a vg30det into a hardbody 4x4. He found that the transfercase would mount up to the front half of the vg trans. That got me thinking about what it would take to use it to build a awd z. The engineering involved is beyond me at the moment, but it would be interesting.