HybridZ

Difference in L98 heads

So from advice from a people here and other venues, as well as a ton of reading it looks like for my setup the l98 heads are the best choice. My deal now is that I am having a difficult time distinguishing the differences in the many types of L98 heads.

----------------------------

there was;

On the firebirds/camaros

iron 305 heads from 85-86

iron 305 heads from 86-89

iron 350 heads from 87-89

iron 350 heads from 90-92

on the corvette

iron 350 heads from 84-86

aluminum 350 heads from 87-89

Aluminum 350 heads from 90-92

-----------------------------

This gives me waaay to many choices.

This is for an 86 camaro intake and I am unclear if I can use the 87 and newer style heads for one, and to be blunt what they all flow like and their valve size and combustion chamber size.

Can someone shed some light on these for me?

Edited by vega

the stock L98 heads really arent that good, the aluminum ones are better but still dont flow that well. the heads however are not the bottle neck if your running a stock TPI, its the lower intake manifold. they changed the intake bolt pattern from straight to angled in 87 so you will have to use a head from that time period to avoid modifying the lower manifold which can be done and the article below explains that a little, i have some heads off of an 88 that are cast iron if your looking for a set. i assume your running the TPI and that is why you need the heads?

here is a little article on it

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_9812_tpi_engine_swap_for_classic_chevys/length_of_the_intake_runners.html