HybridZ

Tachometer not working with MSD ignition

The '73 has a 4-wire tach that uses the current pulse to trigger it, no the voltage pulse from the points. The MSD ignition might not have the correct current pulse shape to properly trigger the 4-wire tach. The easiest soution is an aftermarket tach or perhaps a 3-wire tach from a later model Z. I have seen adapters available for this situation. Search on the internet for information related to Smith tachs used in the early English cars. They are also current sensing types.

There are 2 different tach adapters. You may have gotten the wrong one. I ran MSD on my 73 for years and never had a problem. I would make sure you have the correct adapter and recheck all wiring. The part # for the correct one is 121-8910. This adaptor is for points or amplifer. Your ride came with a points dizzy. The other adapter is for a dizzy with a magnetic pickup.

The 8920 looks like the correct adapter for a current driven tach. When you say MSD ignition, are you talking about the 6AL? I think a lot of the problems that people have with this installation comes from how they wired the MSD 6AL. To start, what exactly did you connect the Red and White wires on the 6AL to? Also, what did you do with the original ballast resistor?

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Edited by Nigel

Yep, referring to the 6AL

Not sure tho what my mechanic do, he just told that he tried many things and wasn't able to get it work. Trying to find the correct way so I can inform him

It's going to be tough to troubleshoot without knowing exactly what was done. I've never installed a 6AL or tach adapter personally, but I am a career electrical designer, and I can tell you what I'd do if it were me hooking all of this up. But first, do you at least know what was done with the distributor...

Original distributor with original points

Original distributor with Pertronix ignition

Original distributor with Optical Pickup like a Crane ignition

280Z/ZX distributor

Nigel

The formatting got screwed up when I posted. I hope this fixed it...

The first thing to do is to identify 3 of the original ignition wires.

Black/White Wire originally connected to the coil (+) terminal (0VDC with ignition switch at ON. +12VDC with ignition switch at Start)

Green/White Wire originally connected to the Ballast Resistor

Black/White Wire originally connected to the Ballast Resistor. (+12VDC with ignition switch at ON and Start)

Even though there are two Black/White wires, they are not part of the same piece of wire, and they must be correctly identified. To do this, with all three wire disconnected, turn the ignition switch to the ON (Run) position and measure the voltage to ground at each of the Black/White wires. One of them should have +12VDC, and the other should not. The one without +12VDC is the original coil (+) wire. Once that's been sorted, connect the Green/White and Black/White wires that were originally connected to the Ballast Resistor to each other. This is going to be your Ignition ON source for the MSD 6AL and the 280ZX distributor.

Now you can connect everything as outlined below:

MSD 6AL

Heavy Red Wire to (+) Battery terminal

Heavy Black Wire to (-) Battery Terminal

Red Wire to (+)12V Ignition ON (to original Ballast Resistor Black/White and Green/White Wires which are now connected together)

White Wire to 280ZX Distributor "C" (Top of T) Terminal

Orange Wire to Coil Positive

Black Wire to Coil Negative

Magnetic Pickup (Violet and Green wires) - Not Used

Tach Output to MSD 8920 White Wire

280ZX Distributor

C (Top of T) to MSD 6AL White Wire

B (Leg of T) to (+)12V Ignition ON (to original Ballast Resistor Black/White and Green/White Wires which are now connected together)

MSD 8920

Red Wire to Original Black/White Coil (+) Wire

White WIre to MSD 6AL Tach Output

Black Wire to Chassis GroundViolet Wire - Not Connected

You may need to install a diode in series with the Black/White wire connected to the Alternator External Voltage Regulator to prevent engine run-on after the key is switched off.

Nigel

Edited by Nigel

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem. No tach but on a 1973 240Z

MSD6AL - original single point distributor - MSD 8910 tach adapter

Power wires are connected directly to the battery

Red to black/white stripe wire

White to distributor

Black to Coil negative post

Orange to Coil positive post

Yep the 8920 is what works.

Thanks for the confirmation. Sorry I never answered your question from a few weeks back, but I've never actually installed one of these. I'm just going by theory. So, I didn't really have anything to tell you.

Nigel