HybridZ

reverse grinding

sergio

When i put my 280z in the reverse it doenst shift smoothly,the gear make a grinding sound i am able to shift all other gear (5 speed) with no problem.Do i need to adjust the clutch?? any one who as had the same problem please let me know ,it will be great.it was fine until i had my oil pan and the clutch cylinder got changed, also to do the job the gears box was removed, but not opened, could that be a factor also???

Thank you

sergio

some reasons why would be not engaging the clutch all the way, not shifting smoothly, or if the car is rolling then, cause the car isn't in a complete stop. you did state that you replaced the clutch cylinder, why did you? it can be that you didn't install it correctly. or simply your syncros are going bad. (not so sure if i spelled that correctly) :huh:

There is no synchro for reverse.

Might also be a master or slave just beginning to go bad (even though one of them was just replaced, this is still possible). Pull the boots back on both and see if fluid leaks out.

A 280 should have the self adjusting slave cylinder, so it's not likely that you have an adjustment problem now if you didn't before.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem with my car. I put in a 77' 5 Speed in my 260Z and at first it was fine but after a few months it would start grinding when going into reverse and then if you wait longer it starts to get hard to put in first. Then I went to bleed the clutch and I saw metal shavings in the fluid so I suspect the slave cylinder is going bad. All I did was continue bleeding it and adjusted the clutch pedal up more and that worked for another few months but now the grinding in reverse is coming back.

I hope that story helps you.