HybridZ

Valve lash help needed!

This should be a fun one for you chevy veterans. I bought my long block with intake manifold/etc a few years ago. I do not know what brand/type camshaft/lifters I have, although I do know duration/lift etc from an email when I bought it. When I purchased the engine the mechanic loosened the rockers. I need to tighten them up but I do not know if/how much lash/preload to do. I am loooking for the easiest fastest solution, I have ideas:

Tighten to 0 lash, then some more, if they feel squishy still then I know it's hydraulic? This is what someone told me.

Take intake manifold off, inspect.

Leave a 20 ish thousands lash see how noisy it is and tighten up if it sounds too noisy after it's been running a bit.

I have been posting in the V8z forums so I'll just mention, this is a 388 chevy stroker with dart aluminum heads and 1.6 roller rockers.

I'm just looking for an easy ish way to do this without having to tear apart my engine.

If they are solid lifters how do I know how much lash is needed?

Is there anything I should specifically watch out for so I don't break my engine parts?

Many thanks!

Edited by oakland240

• 2 weeks later...

Why would the "mech" loosen all the rockers???

Most SBC's are hydrolic. Tighten all your rockers to have zero play at the push rod at TDC, run the engine. loosen the nut until it starts clicking (while running) tighten to zero lash, (clicking stops) then one half turn past. DONE The engine will stumble a bit when adjusting.

If this doesn't work there solid lifters.

Edited by tyler031734