HybridZ

Trouble threading on oil filter

BlueStag

Hey guys,

So I am making good headway in getting my Datsun Z engined Triumph Stag ready for the road again. It has been on stands for 9 years. Fired right up.

Went to change the oil today. Had a hellish time getting a filter on it. Wrecked two Frams.

I have changed oil dozens of times. I have always had the filter just spin on until it seated, then give it 3/4 turn to finish it, and Bob's your unkle.

But here the filters jammed after about three turns. Absolutely wedged before anything like closing on the block.

I ended up putting the old filter back on. It resisted a little bit, but did run up to the block and seal.

Any ideas?

Verify the p/n on the new filters (not the boxes they came in)?

Perhaps the old filter was slightly off and it forced the threads when it was first installed?

Yeah, seems to me that if the previous and now present filter had not threaded correctly, it would not have seated and not have sealed.

I am sure that I had the correct Fram filters, two of them. And I had always understood that the nipple that filters thread onto were standardized, even if the base circle may vary, so that one could pretty much fit any filter to any nipple.

Unfortunately not, which is why there is an entire wall of filters at the auto parts store. For example, two common pitches are 16 SAE and 1.5 Metric, which are close enough to each other that if the wrong one were tried, it could be screwed on with little effort but damage the threads by squeezing them together or pulling them apart slightly.