HybridZ

Need help with new 240z

Hello everyone,

I bought a 72 240z yesterday and he had someone tow It to my house this morning. It has and L24 with a 4spd tranny, The guy I bought It from told me It ran about about a year ago until his daughter (the owner before I bought It) moved to North Carolina parked It and never turned it on again. So now It's been in my hands for about 7 hours and I've managed to get the car started and got the brakes to work! However when I try and shift gears with the car on its like there's a wall preventing me from putting It In gear. The clutch pedal seems way to loose.. I've tried bleeding It already and nothing It's like the clutch wont disengage or something? I'm not sure the condition of the clutch the guy didn't know too much about the car (what a shame):/ so he basically told me that It was driven about a year ago and that's all he knew. I really want to figure this out because I want to see how this Z drives It's my second Z car the first being a ZX but I'm planning on keeping this one till I'm out of high school maybe even longer so the more info I can get the better! Thanks everyone in advance!

Here's some pics of her she needs work but that is just perfect for me these cars have proven to be somewhat "fun" to work on haha (I might regret saying that xD)

Thanks again!

post-20764-047013800 1314055918_thumb.jpg

post-20764-089637400 1314056043_thumb.jpg

post-20764-022142200 1314056069_thumb.jpg

Hello everyone,

I bought a 72 240z yesterday and he had someone tow It to my house this morning. It has and L24 with a 4spd tranny, The guy I bought It from told me It ran about about a year ago until his daughter (the owner before I bought It) moved to North Carolina parked It and never turned it on again. So now It's been in my hands for about 7 hours and I've managed to get the car started and got the brakes to work! However when I try and shift gears with the car on its like there's a wall preventing me from putting It In gear. The clutch pedal seems way to loose.. I've tried bleeding It already and nothing It's like the clutch wont disengage or something? I'm not sure the condition of the clutch the guy didn't know too much about the car (what a shame):/ so he basically told me that It was driven about a year ago and that's all he knew. I really want to figure this out because I want to see how this Z drives It's my second Z car the first being a ZX but I'm planning on keeping this one till I'm out of high school maybe even longer so the more info I can get the better! Thanks everyone in advance!

Here's some pics of her she needs work but that is just perfect for me these cars have proven to be somewhat "fun" to work on haha (I might regret saying that xD)

Thanks again!

Sounds like the clutch disk is stuck to the flywheel, and the release bearing isn't working. Can you shift it into a gear when the motor isn't turning over?

Thanks for the reply,

If that's the case would I have to replace the clutch? Yeah when the car is off I'm able to shift through the gears fine.

Could also be that the clutch master is by-passing. When you wer ebleeding the slave cylinder were you getting a reasonable amount of fluid per

pedal stroke?

Could also be that the clutch master is by-passing. When you wer ebleeding the slave cylinder were you getting a reasonable amount of fluid per

pedal stroke?

Actually now that you mention it, when i went ahead and did the bleeding there wasn't much fluid coming out of the cylinder at all. What would this mean?

I would inspect your clutch slave and master cylinders, both are simple. You may need new ones.

I was thinking the same thing, I was reading some pages on the internet about "bench bleeding" do you think this would help?

Again thanks for replying

I'll quote my first post:

Inspect first, and if they fail inspection then either rebuild or buy new. Download the FSM.

Oh lord.. turns out I had the cylinders confused.. I went ahead and bled the slave cylinder under the car and now the clutch pedal feels much better thanks for helping out!

No problem, and please make sure your brakes are in good shape before driving on public streets. After sitting for so long, there may be issues. Check the master cylinder, calipers and rear wheel cylinders for leakage. I would bleed the brakes as well.

No problem, and please make sure your brakes are in good shape before driving on public streets. After sitting for so long, there may be issues. Check the master cylinder, calipers and rear wheel cylinders for leakage. I would bleed the brakes as well.

Thanks for the advice will do! I actually seen some fluid leaking from the rear tires but im going to replace the brake shoes anyway so ill get to that soon.

Thanks again!