HybridZ

just added a 78 280z to my collection

Domzs

YEah, That'll be fun. I wanted a Black Pearl, but I've gone a long ways since then. Once you get into the modifying the "stigma" of an edition really loses a lot of it's meaning. Now I'm not going to say I don't love an unmolested Z, Particularly the Black pearl, but you'd be hard pressed to find one that hasn't been modified, so really what are the options? Return it to stock and restore it? good luck finding the stripe kit. Or much better, (in my eyes) make it what you want. Upgrade it, make yourself happy with the work you've done and modernize the car at the same time. I think you'll be much happier with it. These S30's were designed to have more motor than they came with so why not?

If you were to decide to keep the L28, there's a lot you can do to it to squeeze a bit better performance out of it. It wasn't a bad engine and it's easy to work on. Some people like stock over retrofits. There in Tx, I bet you've got the same rules for swapping engines. Basically the engine has to be from something newer, aside from that, it'll still have to pass emissions (75+, but you should check with your DMV to be certain before you start.

We'd love to see what you do with the Car. Post us some pictures, before during and after are always awesome.

YEah, That'll be fun. I wanted a Black Pearl, but I've gone a long ways since then. Once you get into the modifying the "stigma" of an edition really loses a lot of it's meaning. Now I'm not going to say I don't love an unmolested Z, Particularly the Black pearl, but you'd be hard pressed to find one that hasn't been modified, so really what are the options? Return it to stock and restore it? good luck finding the stripe kit. Or much better, (in my eyes) make it what you want. Upgrade it, make yourself happy with the work you've done and modernize the car at the same time. I think you'll be much happier with it. These S30's were designed to have more motor than they came with so why not?

If you were to decide to keep the L28, there's a lot you can do to it to squeeze a bit better performance out of it. It wasn't a bad engine and it's easy to work on. Some people like stock over retrofits. There in Tx, I bet you've got the same rules for swapping engines. Basically the engine has to be from something newer, aside from that, it'll still have to pass emissions (75+, but you should check with your DMV to be certain before you start.

We'd love to see what you do with the Car. Post us some pictures, before during and after are always awesome.

thanks for the inputs . engine compression checked out good . has broken exh. manifold . thinking of installing header and keep it stock for now . i just love my LS 1 conversion on 83 turbo . will convert it later , LS 2 or 3 , since these cars are a lot easier .