HybridZ

Miller Dynasty vs XMT

mutantZ

Hi all, I've just started using the miller Dynasty in class for TIG, but I remember seeing the XMT 350's with a TIG option as well. When I looked them up, the XMT seemed to be priced similarly to the Dynasty model. Is the Dynasty machine just that much better at TIGing vs the XMT, which can do stick and MIG, that it costs the same for 1 process? Or are these just meant for totally different types of applications. I was just curious if anyone had any info on this. Thinking about one or the other in the future. Thanks in advance.

The XMT line is multi-process, and slightly lower tech than the Dynasty. Money being similar, you get the Dynasty if you intend to do a lot of TIG work. If you think that you want to have the ability to TIG as well as MIG and Stick, you get the XMT. Note that the XMT has Pulsed MIG, and the Dynasty obviously has Pulsed TIG. They are both a little above the typical needs of a hobbyist, but may be appropriate for someone taking classes and moving to welding professionally. Or, if you simply have that kind of money laying around which is not required for car parts, go for it! = )

Thanks, I was just unclear about the tech in these welders. I am still just at the beginning phases and will prob not be anything more than a hobbyist so I was just wondering what the differences were. But you know how it goes, high dollar machines are always cool!

It appears that the XMT will not do AC welding. This is typical of most multi process machines that I have seen. Without AC, it is going to prove very difficult to weld aluminum with the TIG process. Aluminum can be done on DCEN, but is usually only for heavy aluminum applications and requires helium instead of argon and is also difficult to do.