HybridZ

Stuck doing 280zx disc conversion

I have read countless threads about this swap...

I bought 1983 A1 Cardone reman calipers left and right with Beck Arnley pads, caliper part #'s 19-566 & 19-567. I have a 1983 turbo parts car I was going to use the mounting brackets for. I took off both side and the drivers side had this huge steel bracket. The mounting bracket itself appears to be part of the rear hub assembly. The parts car on the right side has what appears to be the correct caliper bracket I need. I am using Z race products hub brackets. Here is the picture I took of the left Cardone caliper, the caliper I pulled off my parts car and that large steel bracket. What am I doing wrong, and what do I need to do to fix this.

post-19549-079338700 1316827096_thumb.jpg

You need to ask Zraceproduct for what year/make calipers his brackets are for. Your cardone calipers are late 280zx and the rusted ones are earlier 280zx. Maybe those brackets are design for either late Maxima calipers or 240sx calipers. Apart from the early 280zx calipers, all these calipers look the same but have minor differences.

Edited by Dat260

I know they are for 280zx that is why I bought them. Any ideas why I would have the correct brakes on the passenger side but not the drivers side on my '83 parts car?

You need to ask Zraceproduct for what year/make calipers his brackets are for. Your cardone calipers are late 280zx and the rusted ones are earlier 280zx. Maybe those brackets are design for either late Maxima calipers or 240sx calipers. Apart from the early 280zx calipers, all these calipers look the same but have minor differences.

I have read countless threads about this swap...

I bought 1983 A1 Cardone reman calipers left and right with Beck Arnley pads, caliper part #'s 19-566 & 19-567. I have a 1983 turbo parts car I was going to use the mounting brackets for. I took off both side and the drivers side had this huge steel bracket. The mounting bracket itself appears to be part of the rear hub assembly. The parts car on the right side has what appears to be the correct caliper bracket I need. I am using Z race products hub brackets. Here is the picture I took of the left Cardone caliper, the caliper I pulled off my parts car and that large steel bracket. What am I doing wrong, and what do I need to do to fix this.

I have the same Zraceproducts mounting brackets. I run 1983 280zx calipers AND rotors. Some of these reman calipers do not come with the "mounting bracket." When you order make sure you order the ones that have it otherwise you wont be able to mount the caliper.

As far as that huge steel piece, the ZXs came with 2 different styles of caliper, the ones with it and ones without it. I cant quite remember which years came with which. As far as I know the Zraceproducts mounting brackets are designed to use the brackets withOUT the large steel part.

I have all of the parts for the ZX conversion these are the parts that the guy I bought the brackets from told me to use. I will only sell them as complete unit. Sold my Z so they are gathering dust. The mounting brackets are machined aluminum, near new ZX calipers and new rotors. Will let go for $280 including shipping. I also have set of front calipers off of a 4runner they are the wide model so need wheel spacers with stock rims, $80 including shipping.

Edited by SHO-Z

Ok so Cardone has a part number with the bracket. I think I am going to order a 1983 right rear caliper with bracket, because for the swap the right rear 83 caliper goes on the left side of my 77. Is the mounting bracket going to work though? Essentially I need a left rear mounting bracket only.