HybridZ

72' 240z fuel tank conversion

jakeoster

From my research (reading lots and talking to a few people) it seems like the bosch 044 is the way to go. It isn't stupid expensive at ~$200, it outflows the walbro by a decent amount, it's quieter, and much more reliable. From this point, I think I'll be finalizing my design around the 044 pumps, unless someone points out a major glaring reason that I shouldn't.

I'm looking forward to seeing how your install goes Jake :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this has become a lot more urgent of a conversion on my end. The car wont move until I get something done about this.

I decided to go for a drive with a friend today and even with almost a full tank of gas and under normal driving conditions the car was running like utter crap, nearly dying under light throttle load and would sputter very badly over about 2000 RPMs. Of course it waited to do this when I was about 15 miles away from home haha! I had to limp it home and almost had to have the car towed because it was that bad. Im pretty sure the fuel pump cavitated or something along those lines...maybe vapor lock? After I came home and let it sit for a while it seemed to have cleared up.

Im getting paid this coming Friday and am going to pay off my credit card then see what I have left and start doing something. Im pretty set on doing an in-tank setup so Im going to most likely have the tank professionally cleaned first before I go about hacking and welding on it and then go from there.

Edited by jakeoster

You will be surprised how much crap is in your tank. I fought it for a year and was often stranded with no fuel pressure. I'm not sure if it is rust or if it is some form of fuel-loving algae, but it is orange in color and makes big flakes. Interestingly, when you scrape it off with a plastic spatula, the tank usually looks fine underneath it with OK galvanizing. I had mine cut apart and it was gross-even after I had wrinsed it myself on two separate occasions and even had a radiator shop clean it out. The baffle in the middle just keeps you from getting it clean. My recommendation is to find someone who will cut it apart, then clean it really well yourself before having them re-weld it. I had mine media blasted, but I'm kind of worried that I don't have 100% of the media out of it. Just clean it manually once you have a great big hole(s) cut in it. See my thread on the GenIII V8 section for pics of mods.

Edited by RebekahsZ