HybridZ

A little help with my plugs

Dershum

The "brown crud" is rust. It looks like there was rust on the outside of spark plug (likely due to water puddling while cleaning the engine) before you removed it from the engine. The rust got on the tip and threads because you did not clean the area around the plugs prior to removal and you dragged the tip of the plug through the rust as you removed it.

You are right about being lean. The right plug looks lean compared to the left plug. This is unrelated to the rust issue.

The "brown crud" is rust. It looks like there was rust on the outside of spark plug (likely due to water puddling while cleaning the engine) before you removed it from the engine. The rust got on the tip and threads because you did not clean the area around the plugs prior to removal and you dragged the tip of the plug through the rust as you removed it.

You are right about being lean. The right plug looks lean compared to the left plug. This is unrelated to the rust issue.

I kind of thought the shaft/nut area was aluminum or something else that wouldn't rust...that's why I didn't really think rust to begin with. Thanks for the diagnosis! That last cylinder (it's the plug from #6) is is a little strange. I (finally) did a compression test last night, and while cylinders 1, 2, 4, and 5 are reading around 120 psi (except 3 which is at 100...I'm guessing new rings are in order), that one is at 130 psi. I'm guessing that the lean condition is related to the fact that cylinder is performing "better" in relation to the overall air/fuel mix in the other two cylinders, but I've got the mixture fully enriched on that carb. I know the carbs need a rebuild, but I'm also wondering if there's something I might be able to do in the mean time (short of a rebuild) to get a little more fuel flowing through that carb.

I kind of thought the shaft/nut area was aluminum or something else that wouldn't rust...that's why I didn't really think rust to begin with. Thanks for the diagnosis! That last cylinder (it's the plug from #6) is is a little strange. I (finally) did a compression test last night, and while cylinders 1, 2, 4, and 5 are reading around 120 psi (except 3 which is at 100...I'm guessing new rings are in order), that one is at 130 psi. I'm guessing that the lean condition is related to the fact that cylinder is performing "better" in relation to the overall air/fuel mix in the other two cylinders, but I've got the mixture fully enriched on that carb. I know the carbs need a rebuild, but I'm also wondering if there's something I might be able to do in the mean time (short of a rebuild) to get a little more fuel flowing through that carb.

If you have a turbo model your compression is about right. For a normally aspirated model you should be getting around 170 PSI. The service manual for your particular model will provide the correct PSI specification.

The variation from cylinder to cylinder indicates a problem, but not necessarily rings. You should check the valve clearance as a tight valve will give a low compression reading as well as other poor run symptoms. A cylinder leakage test should be done. This will tell you whether the rings, valves, or something else is the cause of the low compression.

If you have weak rings or valves you will not be able to set the fuel/air mixture reliably due to those problems affecting the plug color and other indicators of the mixture.

If you have a turbo model your compression is about right. For a normally aspirated model you should be getting around 170 PSI. The service manual for your particular model will provide the correct PSI specification.

The variation from cylinder to cylinder indicates a problem, but not necessarily rings. You should check the valve clearance as a tight valve will give a low compression reading as well as other poor run symptoms. A cylinder leakage test should be done. This will tell you whether the rings, valves, or something else is the cause of the low compression.

If you have weak rings or valves you will not be able to set the fuel/air mixture reliably due to those problems affecting the plug color and other indicators of the mixture.

Not the turbo, it's 71 240z...it's also not the original motor or at least the ID number on the block doesn't match the VIN, but it's an L24. I also can't vouch 100% for the compression gauge (I got it from harbor freight on sale), but at least it tells me that something is going on with cylinder #3 over and above the other five. I'm definitely going to pull the head and inspect everything, and at minimum replace the head gasket. We'll see how it goes from there I guess.