HybridZ

Dyno run

30 ounce

Finally got a dyno run done. Need to find different needles to lean out the midrange a bit. Also had a better run with 183 HP and 173 TQ but didn't bring it home. I'll swing by Tuesday & grab it. Keep in mind that this was at 5280 ft elevation!!

3.0 liter, SU carbs, Isky 490-290 cam.

post-11707-023618100 1318743869_thumb.jpg

Edited by 30 ounce

Thats pretty cool. I need to do the same with my new L28 motor running the same Isky Cam.

I have a wideband in my car and my butt feels like best power is somewhere in the 11.5 to 12.5 AFR. Similar to what you have there.

My sensor bottoms out at 10AFR.

What timing do you have in it?

THose charts are corrected to Sea Level, Standard Temp and Pressure already (normally). It says down at the bottom left "* Correction Method: Standard".

In the airplane world that means SL, 15c and 29.92. Not sure what exactly they would use.

Edited by duragg

What needles are you running? Are the SU's modified or stock? I was running SM needles with my stock SU's, manifold, and air cleaner... flat top f54 block and e88 head and stock cam but with bigger valves and some port work, header, etc.

post-4218-024748100 1318897880_thumb.jpg

As you can see, the ratio looks decent across the range here. Maybe the motor is too apples to oranges, but wondering if the SM needles would be a good choice for that cam... The stock N27s were no good for my combo. Dog rich at idle to be decent at high revs.

Edited by inline6

Garrett, I like your AFR's better than mine. Looks like it leans out a little on the top end. I think KD needles might be even better for you. These needles were custom made by Rebello. He gave me a couple ideas to try to lean out the midrange. If those don't work we'll make new needles. The carbs were modified by Rebello (big bore). If I can get that midrange right I think this will be a great motor. It's a lot of fun now but could be better.

Duragg, timing was at 35 degrees. The run that made 183 WHP was at 33 degrees.

Edited by 30 ounce

Garrett, I like your AFR's better than mine. Looks like it leans out a little on the top end. I think KD needles might be even better for you. These needles were custom made by Rebello. He gave me a couple ideas to try to lean out the midrange. If those don't work we'll make new needles. The carbs were modified by Rebello (big bore). If I can get that midrange right I think this will be a great motor. It's a lot of fun now but could be better.

Duragg, timing was at 35 degrees. The run that made 183 WHP was at 33 degrees.

Got it. Well, my motor is no longer... I'm building the 3.0 stroker with Toyota rods and offset ground crank, etc. with the e88 head... you commented on the build thread about welding up the cyl head chambers...

Anyway, with the right needles and those big bore SU's, and further timing tweaks as necessary, it will be interesting to see how much more you can get out of your motor. I'm thinking lots. :)