HybridZ

Help pl 1976 280z

You can go to pick and pull or any junk yard pull a lower end out of an 81-83 280zx non turbo motor. It's an f54 block w/ flat top pistons in it already. The pull a n42 head off a 280z or find a p90 head W/ the n42 head you wil get close to 10:1 compression. The a good came w/ about .500 lift w about 300 duration. Isky makes a great cam for pretty cheap. Then a good set of 40mm or 45mm triple side draft carbs. Pull a tranny out of a 81-83 zx as well good gear ratios. That's where I would start. My buddy has this combo and his 73 eats 90% of the cars on the street and eats most vets and 911's on the track. Very inexpensive except for the carbs. You will pay any where from $800 and up for used carbs w/ manifold and linkage

dont put an n42 on an f54... the water ports dont match up. The f54 should only be used with a p90, p90a, or p79. I'd steer clear of the p90a, and unless you're running a turbo, don't sweat between p79 and p90. I've decided to keep my p79, it's a nice head as long as you aren't running a turbo.

But I should ask this: what block/head do you have right now? Do you have stock efi or carbs? tell us more about what you have right now, so we can steer you better. If you have carbs, consider going for triples or 4bbl(that's the route I'm going anyways). Either way you're gonna be happy with a light flywheel and free-flowing exhaust. Then you can start looking into cams. If you're really into it, you could drop the dough on a stroker set up, or spend a considerable amount on head work. Your wallet is your limit.

Here you go

This is my buddies Z.

Enjoy!!

Start watching around 6:00 mins on

1) Great video and really nice car.

2) Not even close to what you described above. I mean your buddy may have started with what you suggested, but that video is not reflective of that baseline.

Now I've gotten into a lot of arguments with the Vette guys because I'm planning on something kinda sorta similar. But the car in that video is far more of a track car build than anything close to what Datsun released. For one thing, that car handles really flat (to that end, I would like to know how your buddy set up the suspension) and I'd be really surprised if the engine mods you listed above are all that's done to that car. On the straight-aways alone the Z06 would still pull on ANY naturally aspirated L6.

I'm not knocking it at all. Like I said, I'm planning on a similar build for my '73, and for the same purpose. I have gotten into a lot of arguments with the Z06 guys about my challenge (that I can build a Z for around $10k that will run with a new Z06) and think the S30 is a good baseline platform. But to run like that, the only thing Datsun will be the chassis and the emblem on the hood.

Oh, and for the record, I can post up a video of my pathetically underpowered 1981 Vette passing a Ferrari Testarossa. Doesn't mean it was faster. Just sayin'

Edited by clutchdust

ok so if you have a stock engine, that means you have EFI, and dished pistons. If you want to make big power with this set up, I'd vote for going turbo, since you already have a lower compression set up, and EFI. There's a ton of info on this very site about it, and people make great power with these engines.

At clutchdust-- is is a bone stock f54 block w/ flat tops n42 head. With a mild cam around the .400 lift with around 290 duration. Also a lightened fly wheel. Header. Triple 44mm mikuni's. A 5 speed tranny. 3:70 LSD R160 subi diff. This is a street car driven too and from the track. It has ground ctrl coilovers w/ 275 springs. And az brakes front and rear. Nothing else.

Yes I agree a Vette will out run it in a drag race but it's going to have to be a Z06.

And for the money at a 1/5 the cost.

Robb, not calling you a liar, but I would really like to see that car. I mean I would really like to see that car. Especially with the suspension. Compared to my almost factory original slushbox, that thing looks positively like a gokart. Speaking of which, in factory form, these things pretty much handle like a wet bar of soap. I think a lot of that is due to the 14" tires (as is the case with virtually every so called "sports car" more than 30 years old).

As for the performance, I am still a bit skeptical that a naturally aspirated sub-3 liter engine can put out the kind of power needed. Of course, you may be talking about something completely different but I'm assuming the combination you mentioned is still something like 2.8L and conventional 2v configuration? I'm sure the car's weight is also a major factor.