HybridZ

Single Wiper Conversion

LanceVance

Before anyone makes any association with the 90's Honda/Ricer Fad, please read the ENTIRE post!

When I first picked up my Z the cowl panel was off, and the pocket that holds the wiper arm linkage was pretty much full of dried up leaves, brush and crud that had flown in over the years. This being the desert, I was fortunate enough to find that there was only minimal rust in the area, but the wiper linkages and motor were in pretty poor condition. After taking them out for cleaning I decided I would be better off just ditching the dated and neglected stock setup for something a little more... new.

That being said, this car will literally NEVER be driven in the rain, and so I'm really only interested in having something that will allow me to pass state inspections. One wiper is all you need to pass inspection here, so any aesthetic/aerodynamic/weight savings advantages or 'JDM Tyteness' are purely incidental :rolleyes:. I do think that shaving the vents and the passenger side wiper hole might clean up and modernize the front end a little, but that's another thread!

My original plan was to use a junkyard arm-on-motor unit from the rear windscreen of whatever suitable donor vehicle I could find. I quickly realized that was problematic as many vehicle's rear wipers will rest in a vertical position, or cover more than a 45° arc. I've yet to find a vehicle that has a rear wiper that rests horizontally to the ground, only covers a 45° arc and is oriented in the correct direction as to be mounted in the stock driver's side location.

I've found THIS company that sells arm-on-motor units for marine applications, which looks like it pretty much fits the bill, but I figured I would ask if anyone in the Z community has done anything similar before I start spending. If anyone knows of a junkyard donor that will work for me, or has any other ideas/advice to give I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in Advance :2thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...