HybridZ

Differences in Dash Caps

ZeeNoEvil

Will be putting my '77 280Z interior together soon and want to replace the aftermarket dash cap with a new aftermarket one. I found listings for two different caps, "full face" and full face/deep returns". Could someone explain the difference and how it might effect installation or appearance.

• 2 weeks later...

Deep returns means it goes deep into the pods, rather than just having a half inch or so lip. Makes for a cleaner look, but really i prefer to avoid dash caps altogether because i can nearly always tell they're there. Have you tried fiberglassing the dash and recovering it with undercoating or similar? Looks much better imo.

Thanks for the reply Avernier, I guess the cap I have on it now has the deep returns and seems to look fine to me although it is obvious it's a cap. It was put on some years ago and is looking dated and warped along the top (silicone is no longer holding it down). Until I pull it off and see the original dash, it might be worth while to look into refinishing the original. I'll keep reading, and this spring rip into it. Busy putting the body together right now but thinking constantly about all the other things that need to be done. Thanks again!