HybridZ

eBay rb26dett knock off downpipe

voltron_boi

The question is do you want to (or have the capabilities) to hack it up if need be?

Comparing it to the McKinney RB26 downpipe it looks different. I dont know anything about the McKinney one but what I do know is it was designed with a LHD s30 with an RB26 installed.

Just be aware that you'll be rolling the dice with that eBay one.

You will find that those are made of SS, but they are VERY thin walled, and they are NOT round or even the same diameter from one end to the other. So when it comes to hacking and wacking on that Pheng, you will find it will not weld back together nicely. If you have a MIG with Stainless feed and gas shielding you will still need to massage the crap out of that pipe to get it to weld without blowing holes in it.

I just hacked up a XS Sport down pipe for my car which is made in China and re-badged here just like the OBX, XS Sport, or enter brand here and I ran into this issue. I made it work, but it required time. Then there is the heating factor from the welding on the thin metal. I would not expect it to last very long. Mine is temporary as Im waiting for my gt35R to come in and I will be using nice SS exhaust for that. But you already mentioned it will be temporary.

Probably not worth $120 or the hours and costs to hack it up and make it work. Better to spend that money on raw material and make it yourself from the get go, or buy the nicer expensive stuff already made to fit.

GL

Mine was a cheep XS item it came with the elbows and was $100 shipped to the UK, i sold the elbows for $100 so the downpipe was FREE, when i had the exhaust system made he used the XS downpipe that i supplied and with a few mods to make it fit, if it brakes i can always use it as a template for a new one.

Its in my workshop and off the car i will take some pictures and post them up as the quality looks OK to me i am sure that if it was that bad the exhaust workshop would have not used it.

If the eBay knock off needs modifracation to be done, then I'll have to pass on that and just save up into a custom build one. Beside mms who else make rb26dett downpipe for our s30? I will like a 3" downpipe all around instead of the 2.5" to 3". Thanks Ray for the info, and Datsun Dave please post picture if you can.

Here you go pictures of my XS downpipe thats been modified by the exhaust shop to fit my 240z, the original one hangs down do low and we had problems loading the car onto the car trailer to take it to have the stainless exhaust made.

We also have a RB26 240z in the Manchester area he is also using a modified XS downpipe for the last 5 years with NO problems.

So with a FREE XS downpipe it only stands me at £80.00 to have it modified.

post-2288-010458800 1319875351_thumb.jpg

post-2288-086057400 1319875367_thumb.jpg

post-2288-031077700 1319875383_thumb.jpg

post-2288-065603600 1319875404_thumb.jpg