HybridZ

Z cars!

Len

Hi I have been reading the discussions concerning V8 Z's because I have a LT-1 from a Firebird Trans Am with a 6 speed transmission. Along with two 280 ZX's one is a 83 turbo ZX I breathed new life into. The other is a regular 280ZX that I would like to install the 96 LT-1.If I can get up enough courage to do it. That was the plan until I purchased three more 1978 and 1977 280z's yesterday from a guy who is selling about forty 240, 260, 280 and 280 ZX Datsuns some are complete with good bodies while others are good for parts. The guys name is Joe Burnett his pager # is 1-405-556-3393. The cars are located in Edmond Oklahoma. I think now I will install the LT-1 in one of those 1978 280Z's. I visited Sean out of norman who installed his 350 430hp in his 83 280zx and he did good; but I think with the lighterweight of the 78 280Z body I might be happier. Any input from you guys would be appeciated.

Emissions laws not withstanding I'd suggest picking th eone that's in the best shape that you're happiest driving. If it's one of th eZX check with the guys who've done that swap to find out if power steering or whatnot might get in the way.

Yeah, lighter is faster but if you figure that ANY of them is goingf to weigh about 1Klbs LESS than a Camaro then you'll understand just how fast it will be. Kripes, short of a Z06 'Vette you'll beat most any new car off the lot except for maybe really high dollar exotics. I'd say don't get too wrapped aorund the axle on saving a few lbs and go with whatever makes you happy and requires th eleast amount of bodywork and finangling to get around emissions laws. You can alwys add a little HP later if you really have to have it icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the input. As I mentioned I visited ellobo97 down in Norman. Saw his car with his 6 speed installed, looked great! Had room, except around drivers side and as you say that power steering; the distributor looked real close to firewall, but Sean fixed that by customizing the hoodlatch. With that Lt-1 I am also worried about drivers side; since stock exaust has large triangle flange etc. Don't have to worry about Distributor since its behind waterpump. But air conditioning compressor mounted lower right may be problem. But concerning 78 280Z as compared to 83ZX install. The 78 doesn't have a T top which may help body flex, while the 83 does have 4 wheel disc brakes (possibly a roll cage like ellobo97 is currently looking into would cure flex. I always thought the 78 was about 500lbs. lighter than the 83 until a guy listed all the weights etc. (on your forum) Those weights showed only about 100lb. difference? Is that true? Also I believe the 83 has the R-200 rear end where the 78 may only have the R-180. Ah! decisions, decisions.

Don't let the R200 be your deciding factor - it's easy to swap. Disk brakes in the rear can also be added easily enough and supposedly the stock drums have served others well (shiver). If you do the older car the front brakes should certianly be upgraded - lot's of options there including Toyota (heavy) and Outlaw billet stuff (big!). Not sure bout the newer car's options or needs.

The T-tops would concern me though - they WILL lower the stiffness of the body! They also tend to leak in most any car although I can't speak for the ZX from personal experience. No matter what you'll be happiest with some structure work unless the motor is pretty stock and even then... With the exception of the T-tops worrying me I think you won't lose no matter which you pick. With a good cage stiffness due to the T-tops would probably be no biggie (shrug). Which do you like better? Which has an interior you like? I'd guess the ZX has more creature comforts at least icon_smile.gif

Which do I like best.... I do like my 280ZXT after I redid the whole interior and underneath, it rides great. Not enough data to make an evaluation on the 78 Z's I just hauled the three of them home yesterday. They have been sitting for 4 to 6 years. So tomarrow I guess I will spray WD-40 in the cylinders of the most intact car. Wait a day or so to soak. Then disconnect fuel line see what kind of crap comes out (maybe dissconnect fuel line before fuel pump to be safe and maybe just drain tank anyway!). Then make the sign of the cross and try to start her up! I never rode a 78 Z. I like the idea of rack and pinion steering (I did like the idea of it being lighter than the 280 ZX until someone burst my bubble! But I can't help but think looking at the 280 Z beside my 280ZX that the ZX is at least a couple hundred lbs. heavier!). I like the feel of the seats in the 280Z compared to ZX seats. Body is better on 78z compared to ZX. By the way I also have the limited slip rearend off the Firebird that I removed the 6 speed & Lt-1 engine from (yea I think it is a stock 285 hp. engine). I remember seeing a picture of where a guy put a regular rearend in his Z. But I would think that would ruin the handling of the Z. So I guess I need time to bond with my 78 Z's; listen to any input from you guys and what you have experienced before making the decision!! Heck! I guess that is the least of my worries I've got two armloads of wiring harness and a ECM I have got to understand! Thats what I really dread!

I would just second what BLKMGK said--just use the one you like best. I suggest using a 280Z for a swap since you already have a nice 280ZXT. One of each might be nice. Like you, I am partial to the body-style of the Z over the ZX, but both are beautifully designed cars and each have their virtues. The Z has the style (personal preference there) while the ZX has the feel, refinement, and luxury of a more modern car. The choice is yours!

Davy

I think your right. I'm liening tward the 78 280Z even though I haven't even driven it yet (except maybe sitting in it going varrroom! varrroom! in my back yard when my kids weren't around). Wow! I see your from Fremont CA. I have a great memory about Fremont. I was born in San Jose and raised in Palo Alto. Back in 69 my brother left to Oklahoma for collage. He left his 62 Ford Falcon that he put a v-8 in. So while he was gone my friends and I "borrowed" it and traveled across the Bay bridge to Fremont one night. We went to the Fremont strip (about a 2 to 3 mile strip that everyone cruised). We sat there and saw some of the hottest cars there were! Hemi Cuda's, awsome Vette's, Dodge Daytona's, Camaro's even a 390 red white and blue Rambler. I never saw anything like it since!

When we moved back the Bay Area in the late 70's, the Fremont Drag Strip was still there, I believe, and so was Baylands Raceway (supermodifieds). Now, the whole thing is a business park and almost completely developed. I still like Fremont and choose to live here. The GM plant is still there (NUMI), and so are some of the old shops just down the street off of Fremont Blvd. Cool story BTW!

Davy