HybridZ

Megasquirt 280zx

Neotokyo888

Hello so basically I am trying to get a turbo and attach it to my l28E in a 1980 280zx. So first I need to install a new EFI so that I can just attach the turbo and run it right? Anyways could someone post a guide on how to install megasquirt on a 1980 280zx? Much Appreciated Thank You! Correct me if I am wrong but all I need to do to turbo my 280zx is just install a new EFI and then put on the turbo kit?

*insert obligatory "SEARCH!!!" here*

but seriously technically all you need to turbo is all the stock turbo parts and the stock turbo ecu, but I assume you already know that since youre looking into megasquirt. here:

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?showtopic=23244

its a bit old if memory serves but its a good guide all together.

also if you need a list of all the parts necessary to go turbo I will happily post them

EDIT: on second thought flatblack does a better job going through all the necessary stuff to go NA to turbo: http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?showtopic=82371 *Note* the stock l28 turbo has dished pistons while the NA has flat top ones, you can use flat top pistons but keep in mind that increasing compression increases your chance of detonation so be sure to do your homework/use an intercooler!

Edited by WreZ

Early L28 N/A engines, have dished pistons.

If you search for n/a turbo all the parts are listed depending on which way you want to go. The better option is to install the Megasquirt. You will also need to find an air intake sensor to run Megasquirt. You can read how to install and set up Megasquirt at MSEFI.COM. Figure out which version of Megasquirt you want to use. If you do a search and save all the info you find, it will help you greatly with your Megasquirt install and turbo upgrade.

Edited by dexter72

Oh yeah could you please post all components I need, thank you !

You need all the turbo stuff that your NA doesn't normally have.

But seriously this isn't the forum to ask to be spoon fed - lots of people with some really good insight here but not putting in any effort researching a topic that has been covered litterally hundreds of times isn't going to put you in their good books. First off do some research and see if you want a high compression turbo setup - the L28E on compression is prone to knocking unless you do something to prevent detonation/pinging. It's doable and you'll get good response but there is a lot to be said on both sides of the fence on this whole topic. The S130 had a turbo option from the factory so it's probably the easiest to swap a stock system into (although you don't have as much room to play around with turbo/exhaust setups as the S30).

You can run a stock turbo ECU or even a Z31 or Z32 ECU/MAF for a more modern setup. Take that a level further and get a Nistune setup with the Z31 or Z32 ECU. Personally I would recomend MegaSquirt as your best bang for the buck if you want to squeeze everything you can out of whatever set up you go with by tuning your car.

Early L28 N/A engines, have dished pistons.

If you search for n/a turbo all the parts are listed depending on which way you want to go. The better option is to install the Megasquirt. You will also need to find an air intake sensor to run Megasquirt. You can read how to install and set up Megasquirt at MSEFI.COM. Figure out which version of Megasquirt you want to use. If you do a search and save all the info you find, it will help you greatly with your Megasquirt install and turbo upgrade.

You can use the air intake sensor on the AFM to start but getting rid of the AFM and putting in a GM (etc) thermal sensor will get rid of a lot of restriction in your air flow.