HybridZ

240sx rear brake help

Ok so I'm gonna be doing brakes on the Z soon and I think I have decided to go with the non-vented front toyota's, and the rear 240sx discs with a MM bracket. I'm a little unclear of which brakes I can use for the rear, namely, s13 or s14? I've seen both mentioned. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the calipers have a built in e-brake? The rear brakes on my mini allow a parking brake with a cable that pushes the piston out. The 240sx calipers appear to have the same set up. But MM lists an e-brake relocation bracket, which I assume is to re-locate the stock part of the drum that is used as an e-brake. If I am correct about the e-brake on the caliper, how come no one uses it? Idk if the stock Z e brake had many problems, but seems to me like the sx e-brake set up would be a lot more solid... What're everyone's thoughts on this? I hope I'm not just totaly wrong here... but I most likely am :unsure:

1.) S13; S14 may work as well, but S13 is the 'standard' one that people use with the MM kit.

2.) You have to switch out the arms (bracket that attaches to E-brake cable) out from the left to the right and visa versa, which allows the 'MM e-brake relocation bracket' to attach the factory cable to the 240sx caliper; Most people fabricate their own piece for this as it is fairly simple and cheap to do so. This allows the 240sx caliper to function as a parking brake.

Worth reading THIS as well if your doing this swap (particularly post #18)

Also, please use some spacing... Just having everything in one long paragraph makes it a little difficult to separate the different questions your asking. :2thumbs:

Edited by LanceVance

1.) S13; S14 may work as well, but S13 is the 'standard' one that people use with the MM kit.

2.) You have to switch out the arms (bracket that attaches to E-brake cable) out from the left to the right and visa versa, which allows the 'MM e-brake relocation bracket' to attach the factory cable to the 240sx caliper; Most people fabricate their own piece for this as it is fairly simple and cheap to do so. This allows the 240sx caliper to function as a parking brake.

Worth reading THIS as well if your doing this swap (particularly post #18)

Also, please use some spacing... Just having everything in one long paragraph makes it a little difficult to separate the different questions your asking. :2thumbs:

Thank you for the reply! I will be on the lookout for s13 rear calipers then, thank you!

Ok I understand the e-brake thing now. I didn't realize what the relocation bracket acctually did, as I said I thought it was to re-locate that part of the drum on the stock system. Makes sense now, thank you!

I will read through that, thank you for the link, I think I totaly understand how this will work now, and I'm glad to know that it will. sorry about the spacing... I guess I hadn't thought to do that.

thanks for your reply!