HybridZ

Will I regret not fixing this??

billseph

Hey guys...I posted this question along with some others in the Fabrication Forum and wanted to bring it to the Turbo Forum too.

post-13971-095476100 1322253442_thumb.jpg

I was messing around with the bolts on the water cooled center section of this turbo that had orignally come off of a Z31 that I'd be adapting to put on my L28ET setup in my S30. The first one I tried backing out sheared off the bolt head with surprisingly little effort. I was very bummed about this because I was just experimenting with clocking compressor housing (super easy of course) and after having read a thread here about adapting the Z31 turbo for use on the L28ET thought it would be worthwhile to see if I could also "clock" the center section in relation to the exhaust turbine housing (a member had mentioned the oil input would not face "straight up" with the configuration of the center section of the Z31 turbo).

Anyways enough back story...now I have 1 of the 6 bolts not holding anything down because it's got no head. Am I going to kick myself in the near or distant future of this turbo's life due to having oil and/or coolant leaking from this area because I'm missing 1 of 6 bolts with this thing getting quite hot and cold, and expanding and contracting??

What are you guys thoughts...can I leave it as is, or should I bite the bullet and try to get the remaining bolts out in some way and repair with a tap and/or Helicoil, all the while hoping the other bolts dont do the same??? By the way I had BAD luck getting the stock downpipe studs and bolts out using a rosebud to heat the housing (over half ended up backing partway out only to still shear off), and I have a major fear the rest of the center section bolts will do the same.

Thanks for your time guys.

• 1 month later...