HybridZ

Died while driving!!!

jenzos

We got everything wired up and I was driving, seemed like I hit a bump and the car died and won't start again.

I have checked all the wire connections. Everything seems like it's where its supposed to be. I tried to jump the starter solenoid, possibly the ign switch was jacked up but it sounds like something is spinning but the motor isn't cranking or the starter is engaging. Also, when I used to put the key in the ign and turn to "ON" it would click, it no longer clicks.

This is on a '72 240z. Motor was running great for days before this.

Thank you

I would say no on the alternator being the issue. Do the ignition lights work?. Do the headlights work?. You will need a volt meter if you can't get one, if not get a test light and start checking battery power at your fuses and fuse links. After that go to your ignition switch and check for power when the key is in the run and on position. Don't throw parts at.

Exactly, not looking to throw any money at it yet, a lot of the maintenance was already done i.e voltage regulator.

I'm trying to troubleshoot in my head.

1. When I try to jump the solenoid, the starter spins but doesn't attempt to kick over the motor. Even if the ignition switch was bad the motor should still turn over, no?

2. The wiring looks the same as it did when it was running, nothing was changed, everything was cleaned etc.

3. Could the battery/cables be the issue? Not giving the solenoid enough juice or not grounding out properly?

Thank you for the help! I've been searching to no avail, so if anyone has had this issue let me know!

I would say no on the alternator being the issue. Do the ignition lights work?. Do the headlights work?. You will need a volt meter if you can't get one, if not get a test light and start checking battery power at your fuses and fuse links. After that go to your ignition switch and check for power when the key is in the run and on position. Don't throw parts at.

Currently the headlights and tailights are wired on their own switches. I will bust out the test light and check out the ignition though.

My buddy had same problem a few nights ago-new engine running great for two days, then dead in an instant! He figured wiring and checked everything-nothing loose. I went to his house and pulled a plug to check spark and the damn thing cranked! Put the plug wire back on and it has been running for 2 days. Gremlins.....

My buddy had same problem a few nights ago-new engine running great for two days, then dead in an instant! He figured wiring and checked everything-nothing loose. I went to his house and pulled a plug to check spark and the damn thing cranked! Put the plug wire back on and it has been running for 2 days. Gremlins.....

Thats funny because I just did spark plugs too, the other day... I'll give that a shot too.

Also, I'm now getting a click if I turn on my headlights on the combo switch and I can hear the starter attempting to spin.

Can't wait to freakin' get my EZ wiring harness so I can do this my way.

Update: The car was running! yay. I replaced the neg battery cable. It's weird, I assume I have some wires matched up wrong. The combo switch seems to have to be on headlights in order for it start. no idea how that works.

But now it won't start again and the headlight combo switch is not clicking on and off. Broken combo switch now? It's okay, this is the first Z out of 4 that I've been able to cruise around in. At least for a few days.

So here's what got accomplished today:

1. Got the car running.

2. Burned out the headlight switch. I'm pretty sure it's toast.

3. Can't get it back running.

Seems like the headlight switch is what was giving me power to the ignition? Something doesn't seem right.

The car would not start unless I turned the headlight switch on. I'm so confused beyond belief. haha.