HybridZ

Parts that swap to a Z

Pooky

First let me start by saying that I am a newbee. I've been searching this site for months before I actually joined. I'm rebuilding my first car, a '77 280z. Before I started I knew nothing about these cars. Through the information on HybridZ I've learned a lot. However, I find it very hard to find the information I need using the search function. One of my biggest problems was finding information on things that others used to replace stock items. For example, I now know that Kia Sportage weatherstrip works better than new aftermarket, various seats that will fit with minor or major fabrication, and I now understand the limited wheel options we have. Those are some biggies. What about other stuff? There are some pretty creative people on this site. What are some of the nifty swaps that you have done? I've been thinking about some examples of things that there has to be other options out there for.

These are a bunch that I thought of:

1. Wings, spoilers, or tail fins. Junkyards are full of them. Any models that look good on your Z? With or without modification.

2. Door locks, handles, window cranks that have oxidized. These small things are costly in the catalogs, gotta be some models that fit.

3. My Visors are in crappy shape. Any successful swaps out there?

4. Power Antennas? Dome lights? Shifter knobs? Gauges?

5. Any mechanical/engine parts? Are there any simple add ons from other engines that worked out?

6. Bumpers? Seems like everyone either has a bumper or the back is shaved. Anyone find anything else that looks good?

7. Vents or intakes you cut into your hood or fenders? Grills?

8. Brake swaps? Are there any better substitutes? Thought I read something about Celica brakes. Can't remember the details.

I know some of this information is in various corners of this site. I know that some of you who really know these cars get tired of guys like me asking the same old questions. I thought it would be nice to have a lot of info in one thread. If you can contribute a change that you succesfully made, please give the details of make and model you got your swap from and possibly some pictures of the end product. I would certainly appreciate your input and think others can gain some knowledge as well. Thanks, Craig

My rear disk conversion...

- '82 280zx rotors

- '84 Maxima calipers

- custom caliper brackets bought off ebay

- I had to fabricate the parking brake cable brackets

- '92 Accord rear brake lines are the perfect length and fit

I have pics of the conversion I'll post pics when I get off work.

...You might get flamed for this first post, but I think its a good idea.

Thanks Richracing, My car comes back from the media blaster this week. A drum to rotor switch is something I thought about but didn't think I could afford at this time. I guess if I could locate those cars, its a possibility. Starting from a so called "blank slate", responses such as yours are helpful at this point in my rebuild. I assume the braking system you put together works well? Thanks for your input.

Hey Pooky, Thats the thing about a Hybrid Z. You can mix whatever you want into one. Parts from ofther cars are obviously not made for the S30, but the whole aim and idea of this site is to make things work with the S30. I've said this many times, it's YOUR car, you make what you want out of it. If you like seats from a VW bug, then put them in(I want 09-11 eclipse seats - Very similar in style to the original S30, but so nice and comfy) If you can't find visors for your car, then get some from any car in the junkyard and swap out the brackets. It's not that things won't fit, bolt on etc, it's making them fit by re-engineering. That what this site is really good with. Helping YOU figure out what YOU want to do. It's not just making a list of possible bolt on changes. It's figuring out what you need to do to make the parts that YOU like fit, and fit nicely.

Yes that involves work, but that's how people on here have done some really amazing swaps. They take their time and share what they're working on to get feedback and to see how things have been done. These cars are really like Legos, you can build them 1000's of ways with lots of parts, so there is no specific things you should do to your car (aside from killing rust)

So, no we're not going to tell you what you can do to your car, we're here to help you figure out how to do what YOU WANT to do to your car. So search around and see what's been done, then look around and see what you like. Then come back and ask us, okay how do I fit Lotus suspension in my S30. We'll look at it and give suggestions. The the plan and the work is all you. So if you don't think you can handle that and just want to bolt stuff on, then keep lurking and glean what knowlege you can from here and whatever other sites. but if you want to do something custom and fantastic that will make YOU happy, then post the ideas up and show us pictures and we'll try our best to help you out.

Phar

Well said Phar. My goal is to have a head turner when I'm done. Sharp and classy, not pimped out. I love the changes that others have made that are the result of "thinking outside of the box". The goal of my post was to hear some modifications that many of us may have never even thought of. I'm certainly not committed to keeping my car stock. I can and will change things up, (already got some 04 Acura RSX seats). Just hoping for some nifty ideas from the veterans. Pooky