HybridZ

Is there any difference between 240sx and NA 300zx trannies?

dpuma8

I am attempting to do the FC5W71C swap into my Z car. I see that the 300zx also had the same transmission so is there any difference between the transmissions? All the notes I see for swapping the FC5w71C transmission mention the 240sx without any mention of the NA 300zx.

Will the 300zx transmission work exactly like the 240sx transmission?

I have never heard of the FC5W71C are you talking about an automatic? If so, then no it's very different.

Summary of 300zx transmissions, gearing info omitted:

FS5W71C - 84-89 NA

Fs5r90a - 85-86 Turbo (T5)

Fs5r30A - 87-89 Turbo and 90-96 all.

I have a FS5W71C from a 1987 300zx. It has the wider 20mm gears, but when I had it open I did not check for the double cone synchro on 2nd and 3rd. It did have a synchronized reverse. Based on that, I think it's the same, regardless for my application, I know I can get it to work as I am going to fab up new mounts for the transmission.

When I bought the transmission I compared it to a 280zx transmission and found it would work based on what I was planning on doing.

Edited by rejracer

Sorry, I did mean the FS5W71C transmission. I am just trying to figure out if there are any external differences between the 240SX and the Z31 NA Transmission. There is a deal locally for a VG30e with the FS5W71C attached to it for $150 so I was thinking of picking it up and putting it into my 280Z.

I know for sure that the FS5W71C transmission from a KA24 engine will fit to the L series with some small modifications. Will a FS5W71C from a VG30 engine also require the same minimal adjustments?

• 1 month later...

The 240sx swap involves using a z bellhousing vs the 300zx having to machine the bellhousing. Based on this info im assuming you cant just swap the bellhousing from the z to the 300zx like you can on the 240sx. Austin 240hoke still sells adapters for the 300zx swap btw.

Edited by kaito

Kaito,

The adapters for the 300zx are intended for the Fs5r30A which is a much stronger transmission than the "240sx" transmission. I assume that they would work for the 300zx Fs5w71c as well, but why would you buy 250$ in adapters when you can get 150.00 in machine work done on an L series bell housing.

The 300zx fs5w71c will swap bell housings with an early Z or ZX transmission. The 300zx Fs5r30A will not swap bell housings with a Z transmission.

I have come to find out that the RB20 FS5W71C is ~2" shorter than the 240sx transmission. I will now need to take measurements on my 300zx transmission to determine it's length.

The 240sx swap involves using a z bellhousing vs the 300zx having to machine the bellhousing. Based on this info im assuming you cant just swap the bellhousing from the z to the 300zx like you can on the 240sx. Austin 240hoke still sells adapters for the 300zx swap btw.

There is still machining involved using the transmission from a 240SX.

Something to compare would be the input shaft length, diameter and spline.

Edited by Six_Shooter

Machining is a given on these trans swaps

300zx, 240sx, 240-280zx, and RB transmissions all use the same length input shafts/bell housings. I don't know if the RB 71C box has the same splines, but I assume they do at this point. I know all the others do.