HybridZ

EDIS No Spark, limp mode

Challenger

Hey guys, I went to see if I could get the EDIS to fire in limp mode.... complete failure.

I have wired it according to this... minus the capacitor. Ill be adding that at some point, shouldnt make a difference at this point.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/BRAAPZ/EDIS/EDIS_6_MS.jpg

Ive got 12V power in run and crank on pin 8 as shown. Same power goes to the coil pack as shown below. Both have been verified.

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/images/ign6-pinout.gif

I have my VR sensor wired up with the sensor being 5 teeth away from the the missing one (60 degrees) at cylinder 1 top dead center.

Everything seemed to be in order but I didnt see a spark. Im not really sure I have my VR sensor close enough to the trigger wheel, I've heard 40 thousands is a good distance, I bet mines closer to 80-100... Would I still be getting any sort of voltage signal from that? I went ahead and threw my multimeter on the VR sensor to see if I could pick up a voltage but it stayed at 0. Obviously at 200 rpm or so, the teeth are going by really fast and I understand my multimeter isnt an oscilloscope... but is there anyway to see any sort of voltage change from the sensor with a multimeter? Any other ways to check it, LED light maybe?

Am I right that with 12V power to the coil pack and edis module, and VR sensor input hooked up it should be sparking?

Also, I have the DB37 wired up but nothing is plugged into it, I dont have my megasquirt yet.

Any tips?

Thanks

Edited by Challenger

If you have no spark whatsoever, check that you have the polarity right on your VR sensor. It will not work if it backwards and is pretty easy to check by flipping the wires.

Rob

And when you do get a spark, make sure you index the VR sensor to 6 teeth from the missing tooth at TDC. Six teeth is 60 degrees (for 6-cylinder), 5 teeth is 50 degrees (for 8-cylinder).

Mine fought me for a couple of days originally. All of a sudden I was getting massive spark. I have no idea what I did, but it started working. My wiring was correct and I had flipped the VR sensor wires a dozen times.

Fast forward 5 years and I found an intermittent connection in one of my solder joints...could it have been that all along? Probably.